Night vision options

codybrown

So I'll start off by first saying that I don't have thousands to put towards a night vision or thermal scope. That leaves me with the options of the digital camera style systems. I have my eves on a few, but I'm looking for firsthand experience from anyone who has used them. My choices so far are:

1. Pulsar N550
2. Sightmark photon
3. Sightmark wraith

I'd like to stay away from ATN, from what I've heard customer service leaves something to be desired. All three of the scopes listed have a street price of $500-$600. The Pulsar is discontinues so the best savings would be that one since standard price on it was well over $1k.

The scope will be going on a Remington Model 7 22-250 strictly for coyotes, shots 200 yards and under. I'll be using a 900 series IR torch with whatever option I end up going with.

I'd appreciate any input about the 3 options listed, and also any others that you may have experience with.

its all about your budget and the application. If you plan on shooting a firearm in them you need a good set(like a gen 2 pvs7) because the muzzel flah will either blind you, damage the goggles, or at the very least white them out temporarily. If its for observation only then a nice gen 1 monocular would do. Lots of the new IR stuff out there that i been looking at but i have no experience with them yet. Cost is attractive though.

Go with Pulsar I just sold my N550 for $450.00. What distances and type of terrain do you plan on hunting in. This will determine what type of IR Light you May need to get (if any).

I'd be hunting small fields and woodlines, distances under 250 yards - probable closer to 100-150. I think a seperater light would be better so the scope batteries don't get drawn down by the light.

I'd be hunting small fields and woodlines, distances under 250 yards - probable closer to 100-150. I think a seperater light would be better so the scope batteries don't get drawn down by the light.

The Wraith is having some teething problems right now from what I am seeing on the Wraith Owner's Group on Facebook. The most notable issue is a loss of focus during recoil on some (a minority) of units. Sightmark is addressing the issue.

Last edited:
Look up armasight products. There prices vary but some are comparable to what you are looking for for actual gen 1 quality.

i have an atn and no problems run them hard at first send the bad stuff back you will get a good one though it is a pain use two super nova lights have used a heat a bit not good to much stuff on screen cats, rabbits yotes you name it

So I'll start off by first saying that I don't have thousands to put towards a night vision or thermal scope. That leaves me with the options of the digital camera style systems. I have my eves on a few, but I'm looking for firsthand experience from anyone who has used them. My choices so far are:

1. Pulsar N550
2. Sightmark photon
3. Sightmark wraith

I'd like to stay away from ATN, from what I've heard customer service leaves something to be desired. All three of the scopes listed have a street price of $500-$600. The Pulsar is discontinues so the best savings would be that one since standard price on it was well over $1k.

The scope will be going on a Remington Model 7 22-250 strictly for coyotes, shots 200 yards and under. I'll be using a 900 series IR torch with whatever option I end up going with.

I'd appreciate any input about the 3 options listed, and also any others that you may have experience with.
Go with Pulsar,excellent customer service ,company has a solid track record,i just sprung for thermal XM 50,i might be dangerous.

1. Pulsar N550
2. Sightmark photon
3. Sightmark wraith

Go with Pulsar,excellent customer service,worldwide corporation,thermal is ridiculous but i ordered one anyway. Good luck and go Pulsar,you won't regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.