Night Vision or Spot Light?

Havard

All,

I'm about to make a few "investments" as I like to call them, so I can start coyote hunting. I'm looking hard at the ATN 4K Pro, but don't want to look through it the entire time, and budget doesn't allow for a separate monocular (IR). So I'm thinking of a Wicked Light for an AR .223, and theIr spot light or head light for scanning. I'm still unsure of trying to entice a Yote with an LED on and being successful; hence the reason I'm asking.

I'm also on the fence about electronic calls. I'd like to stay under $300 and looking at the Foxpro Inferno but afraid it might not be enough after reading some reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated...

My advice and what I run. Night Vision to shoot, hand held thermal for scanning and spotting. I use to run Visible lights quite a while back and the number of animals I see now is considerably higher. Thermal for spotting is the way to go, can't begin to explain how many more things you will see with a thermal but I like the Night Vision for shooting because you can be sure it's a coyote vs a fox or the neighbors dog. A good IR illuminator for your night vision is essential. The Foxpro inferno is a good call, I have one but I added the tail spinner they offer and an additional speaker through the AUX port for increased volume when I need it based on the terrain and range to where I'm trying to call.

My advice and what I run. Night Vision to shoot, hand held thermal for scanning and spotting. I use to run Visible lights quite a while back and the number of animals I see now is considerably higher. Thermal for spotting is the way to go, can't begin to explain how many more things you will see with a thermal but I like the Night Vision for shooting because you can be sure it's a coyote vs a fox or the neighbors dog. A good IR illuminator for your night vision is essential. The Foxpro inferno is a good call, I have one but I added the tail spinner they offer and an additional speaker through the AUX port for increased volume when I need it based on the terrain and range to where I'm trying to call.
Thank you kindly! I just ordered the Hammer Jack since it already has the tail spinner included. Hopefully it's as good as the Inferno

Thank you kindly! I just ordered the Hammer Jack since it already has the tail spinner included. Hopefully it's as good as the Inferno
No problem. Hopefully that was helpful. Feel free to ask more specific questions or PM me if you want to dive deeper into specifics on equipment or anything else varmint hunting related. I am fortunate and get to use quite a bit of NV, thermal and IR illuminators and am willing to share my experience if your interested.

All,

I'm about to make a few "investments" as I like to call them, so I can start coyote hunting. I'm looking hard at the ATN 4K Pro, but don't want to look through it the entire time, and budget doesn't allow for a separate monocular (IR). So I'm thinking of a Wicked Light for an AR .223, and theIr spot light or head light for scanning. I'm still unsure of trying to entice a Yote with an LED on and being successful; hence the reason I'm asking.

I'm also on the fence about electronic calls. I'd like to stay under $300 and looking at the Foxpro Inferno but afraid it might not be enough after reading some reviews.

Sir,I was in a similar situation a month ago,I've scanned for coyotes with a Wicked Coyote light on my rifle and in a years time connected with many varmints,fox,yotes,coon,skunk,opossums etc.It took a short learning curve to learn how much intensity to use without spooking the predators,but I learned. However knowing night vision and thermal puts one in a whole new league. I sprung for a Pulsar XM50,and, I will say one thing it's mind boggling,detection range,1 and a half miles,easily identifies anything to 1000 yards.The 5X22 power is awesome,now at an MSRP of $4000 I can't afford another thermal for scanning,I'll scan with the Pulsar and if needed use the Wicked,also for scanning it picks up predator eyes at farther than you'll shoot at night.Good luck with your choices.When the time comes I may grab a thermal monocular to scan,no need now.If you'll check my posts it's apparent I whack more than a fair share of predators ,and now I've upped the anti considerably with thermal.

I have a set of Wicked Lights. They work however they are not in the same ballpark as the best thermals. I am spoiled. I rented a thermal, Reap ir. It is absolutely the best I have seen. We tried by renting and compairing every thermal we could.

Last edited:
I know little to nothing about thermal scopes or night vision so if this is a really stupid question, my apologizes, but how do you range your target/s when using these types of setups?

I know little to nothing about thermal scopes or night vision so if this is a really stupid question, my apologizes, but how do you range your target/s when using these types of setups?
I run a weapon mounted rangefinder that is co-witnessed with my optic. It's offset so I have it so it is always about a Mil to the left of my crosshairs when the scope is dialed for a 100 yard zero. With night vision you can see the laser from a rangefinder as well, so you could have a buddy walk in a handheld rangefinder and watch for the pulses and it would get you close/in the area.

Been doing a far amount of reading on thermals and it looks like the Pulsar Thermion XP50 is a top pick without having to sell a kidney. Seems the price goes way up and nearly doubles when you get one that is better. Yes???

All,

Just got the Digex by Pulsar digital night vision 4x16 haven't mounted on a rifle yet but it's an awesome unit,will definitely be a game changer,didn't like my thermal unit sent it back.

I have a set of Wicked Lights. They work however they are not in the same ballpark as the best thermals. I am spoiled. I rented a thermal, Reap ir. It is absolutely the best I have seen. We tried by renting and compairing every thermal we could.
I'll second the vote for the Reap-IR, I love mine. I scan with the Reap and shoot with a Sightmark Wraith and a Coyote Cannon IR.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.