NF Rings slipping

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
A few weeks back I posted a thread about having movement with my NXS in my NF ultra light rings and now here is a picture. I went out and shot 126 rounds the other day, and this is the movement I got on my scope. My rings are tightened to 27" lbs, which is 2" lbs more than Nightforce recommends. I treated the inside of the rings and the tube with alcohol, remounted it several times, and tightened it back to specs and still have movement.

Any advice?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8139.jpg
    IMG_8139.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 77
Looks lke the rings could possibly be out of spec. Never had this happen with any rings before. I would try new rings.

I see this from time to time even with machined tactical rings. Sometimes the rings are misaligned, which reduces the effective contact area between the scope and rings. Other times it appears to be a low coefficient of friction between the ring and scope tube anodize surface treatments.

If the rings are misaligned the problem could be the base or the rings. If the base isn't bedded, do so. Apply only minimal torque (<3 in lbs) during epoxy set to insure the base is not being stressed. If the rings aren't lapped, I strongly recommend that you do so. The gouges in the scope tube suggest to me the rings have some high spots.

Lastly, I recommend RingTrue tape. I developed it specifically to address these types of problems and it works very well. Now I use it all the time http://www.highpoweroptics.com/ringtrueÂ&trade;-tape-three-scopes-p-24944.htmlas insurance.

That set up looks good and solid. Are the rings new to this rifle scope combo or have they been moved? If not I as others state something is probably out of spec. As stated the tape might be a good idea I don't know.

I have 2 firearms with the Sako Optilock rings with the plastic insert between the scope and ring. One of them is a serious shooter the other is a work in progress so I am still looking at the rings as a possible culprit. Or in other words I personally don't have a lot of confidence in an interface between scope and rings.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

The scratches on the scope tube indicate the rings have been dinged or damaged creating high spots. They should not be scratching the scope tube. Lap the rings.

Jeff

I agree with you. They should be all smooth but NF said they will void the warranty on the rings, etc.. but I think I'm going to do it anyway.

Thanks

Well... if there's a warranty, why not just send them back to NF? Obviously a problem with them and you have the pics to show the guys at NF what's happening...

Had bad scope slip in my 338 win mag with EGW rings. A gunsmith gave me some scope paper but it didn't help. I switched to Burris Signature Zee rings and tightened the screws fairly tight (beyond torque specs) and no more slipping.

When I mount a scope now, I put a piece of blue masking tape in front of one ring and leave it there for quite a few shots just to see if there's any movement.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.