Burris XTR rings slipping - help?

elkregulator

I have a set of six screw Burris XTR xtreme tactical ring on my custom .340 mounting a nightforce 5.5-22x56.

I have the upper ring halves evenly torqued to the recommended setting of 20 in/lbs.

Today while shooting from the bench the scope MOVED 1/8" BACK – actually scratching the scope.

Do you have any recommendations? How high can I torque these rings? Do you think they need to be lapped?

Thanks,

Elk, I have been dealing with your same exact issue with a 338 Edge and NSX 5.5-22X. I even went as far as to send my NF back for a check up. I lapped the Burris XTR's to no luck. I explained my issue to Ken @ NF and he said I needed to use their rings. I didn't want to but I purchased the $150 or so rings and remounted my scope. The same thing happened and bullets were moving all over the place.

I know you shouldn't have to lap the NF rings but I did just to see if they were close to lining up. The scope moved again so then I lapped them thoroughly (75-80%) and they seem to be holding again.

I ran into the same problem with a 300 RUM and the Burris rings and my brother had NF rings on a 300 AX that didn't hold and he ended up lapping his to (all of the scopes were big NSX's).

It gets frustrating knowing you have a rifle that shoots well and not being able to put them where they need to be due to things moving.

I know many people have had good luck with the XTR's and even I have but on large caliber gun I'll be putting on the better stuff.

Here's some really bad advice:

On my 338 RUM, maxed out loads in heavy bullets, Burris Sig ring w/plastic inserts, I torqued the ring screws until the grooves on the wrench turned into threads (about a 3/4 twist). This is with a weavr 1" tactical, not nearly as heavy as the NF.

All of this was after I could not get other rings to hold and ruined a decent scope.

The scope has never slipped but the rear windage notches on the rear ring sheared so I went with double dove tail bases. Things are back to normal or better.

Again this is bad advice. I scoff at 20 inch pounds. But I learn the hard way.

Wow, It's hard to imagine that with amount of bearing surface on the XTR or Nightforce rings your scope could slip. I Learn more every day, and hopefully some day I'll catch on!

jmason, once you start lapping the XTR's you soon realize how much area is not actually in contact.

With as many problems as I've had lately I find it hard to believe other people aren't in the same boat.

jmason, once you start lapping the XTR's you soon realize how much area is not actually in contact.

With as many problems as I've had lately I find it hard to believe other people aren't in the same boat.

MM,

I apreciate the post! That's about the only thing I've not had go wrong for me latley. OOPS, shouldn't have said that!!:confused:

Got that right...I just put a set of 30mm XTRs on when I put a new scope on a .308 and was amazed at just how little would have been touching the scope if I had not lapped them. I lapped them to about 70% contact and torqued them to 30in/lbs. I would torque them more if I was not scared of stripping the aluminum rings out.

Now, after scratching my nightforce and needing to buy a lapping kit just for these rings-
-- They don't seem to be a very good value.--
Do the nightforce, badger, or seekins rings need to be lapped like this? I know it is good practice, but do they all have this problem? The instructions for these rings don't say anything about lapping.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.