next LR hunting rifle 28 Nosler, 7 LRM, or 7 Ultra

Molina

Hello all! So I am about to have a new rifle built and am stuck on which caliber to use. I am wanting something based of a 7mm caliber. My choices are between a 7mm ultra, 7 LRH, and a 28 Nosler. I plan on shooting the 195 Berger's out of this gun. I am going to build it on a Defiance action with around a 28 inch barrel. Plan on putting it in a Manner's Elite Hunter stock with a fully fluted barrel to help cut down on weight. Anyway, looking for your guys input. Pro's and con's to all.

I have considered the STW as well. That was one I meant to put in there. As far as why those calibers I have a long range 300 win, 284, 260 AI, and 243 as well as 338 Lapua Improved. I would like something in one of these mainly to fill my void.....well and I'm ready for new! I really like the thoughts of a 195 grain bullet with a lot of velocity for bears!

Why not a Rem 8 mag? Different, effective, and with the new Cutting Edge Technology bullets........I am working on a new build and leaning in that direction. Already have an 8 BDL, another might be better

If you like to reload. I have been working on the 7mm/338 Norma . I use 300 Norma brass and neck down to 7mm ,ream, trim, fire form . Then load . If you want easy go with the 28 Nosler with 195 Berger. But I can pass the 7mm ultra with less powder with mine.

I'm a die hard lover of the 7mm STW but of the calibers you list I'd go with the 28 Nosler.

You will get very similar ballistics and the availability of factory ammo and brass with Nosler behind their own proprietary cartridge makes it a real winner into the future.

How about a custom cut .300 win mag, with .002 total neck clearance, lots of casings available and more than enough velocity to reach out and touch em. Shock your gunsmith with that old time request, you can also do the same with the old fashion 7mm rem mag. You might be a little slow with both but you can bet you won't search long for brass 10-20 years down the road, you just might be better off in the long haul...

The dude was talking about 7mms... not a 300 Win Mag.
I'm having a 28 Nosler being built right now... (yes,back to back with my 280 AI).
I would pick that cartridge to be honest... Mines going to be wearing a 28 in finished Brux magnum sporter contour and a vias break... and an 8 twist pipe at that.

As the others have said here, do a 1-8 twist.... be it the 175 ABLR or the 195 Berger... it will be a better choice overall... the 28 Nosler is designed to be a payload pusher.

I would go with the 28 Nos myself. Just go to the store and look around and try and find loaded 7mmRUM rounds. Almost impossible. I think I can honestly say I see more STW rounds than the RUM. I see a little more of brass or loaded ammo now for the 28 Nos. In time I think there will more 28 and 30 Nos on the shelf than the 26 Nos. I never seen any brass for the 7 LRM but that is a specific cartridge that is made off another one so that would be a chore in itself. Also the 28 Nos is slight bit easier on the barrel than the RUM. Now for pure fun and crazy speed look at the 7mm Allen Mag or the 7mm Jazz(7mm-338 Norma).. But that is a whole different game in itself.

Very pricey but ...

Lazzeroni_zpsoy24fkya.jpg

I'd personally go with 7MM AM before I'd go this route. :D

Very pricey but ...

Lazzeroni_zpsoy24fkya.jpg

I'd personally go with 7MM AM before I'd go this route. :D

I've seen 112g for the RUM and 126g for the Firebird...I know it depends on who/how/what did the measuring tho. gun)

And the AM is right about 120g, best I can see anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.