Newish Long Range Hunter from Georgia

I have been an aspiring Long Range Hunter for a few years. I live in Georgia but travel out West for Elk and Mule Deer hunting. Got my first good long range opportunity a few weeks ago and took a Cow Elk at 520 yds. I am shooting a Sako .338 Lapua Magnum. I was prone and propped on a Spartan tripod, so it was easy to be rock steady. I am excited about pursuing further opportunities in the future but came to this forum mainly for tips and information on how to improve, practice, and start some amateur gunsmithing and reloading. I have the gunsmith recessed magnet for the Spartan tripod and noticed on my trip that the weight of the Sako on the Spartan is causing cracks in the stock. Still trying to decided whether to tackle trying to repair it or replace the stock but figured this forum will help with that decision and much more. Thanks.
Greetings from MT. Welcome to LRH, and enjoy it!
I have the M995 and have gathered that from reading on this forum also. However, this is 100% my fault. The gun is very heavy and the recessed gunsmith adapter is not in the center of that weight. The tension on the adapter has caused the cracking.
I have SAKO M995 in .300 WM that I harvested an elk with at 931Y. They are excellent rifles/action. However, not many aftermarket stock support around. I was looking for stock about ten years ago; at the time, I had two options from stock makers that needed to be custom made, very pricey. Hopefully, there is more option now because mine will require a re-barrel soon. Good luck!

Greetings from MT. Welcome to LRH, and enjoy it!

I have SAKO M995 in .300 WM that I harvested an elk with at 931Y. They are excellent rifles/action. However, not many aftermarket stock support around. I was looking for stock about ten years ago; at the time, I had two options from stock makers that needed to be custom made, very pricey. Hopefully, there is more option now because mine will require a re-barrel soon. Good luck!
Dang. Incredible shot!

I think there may be even less aftermarket options now. McMillan used to carry one but don't anymore, for example.