Newest Model 7 300 wsm

dakotakidd

Has anyone had experience with a newer model 7 300 wsm? 20" barrel and I think a normal sporter contour like a model 700 sporter. My younger brother is looking for a compact deer and elk thumper and I thought one of these would be a decent pick (he's a smaller statured fella) thought a model 7 would fit him well. He doesn't reload so the max box length wouldn't be an issue. Would a 20" barrel really kill the speed of the wsm? Probably tune the trigger, put on Talley lightweights and a light-ish scope. Maybe a high tech specialties/law stock down the road. They would be pretty reasonable priced too, even better if they would come out with a decent rebate.
If anyone has experience with them, good or bad, let me know.
Thanks!

I just received one of these in the mail. The factory stock is super light. I took an HS stock off my .308, expanded the barrel channel and put it on the WSM. It's barrel is quite a bit thicker than the 308. I'm working on getting the reloading components now, will run it through a chrono with 180's in the coming months.

The factory stock is not really great, the forearm rests on the barrel with 2 little nubs on the end. The channel is large enough that it free floats on the 308 spotter barrel. But it's super light, now the 308 with 3-9x40 Leupold is 6 lbs 3oz, that puts the rifle alone near the 5.25 lb mark, matching my 3x expensive browning TI. For a short range mountain gun, that's about as cheap as it gets for close to 5lbs. If I forget to get back to you by May, send me a message and I'll get you what I find out.

Coop

Nice. Thank you. I think I've chimed in on a thread of your on Rokslide as well. I'd love a 300wsm model 7 in a bansner(legendary arms works)stock. I like the hs stocks but the length of pull always seems a little short for me.

Yeah I went and looked at those after I heard about them, they look really nice. I switch my stocks around occasionally so I really like the style of the aluminum blocks without bedding. I just put an ad up for a b&c or Hs, the factory just won't cut it, as nice as that weight is.

I had an older one in 300 SAUM that was a good rifle. I swapped the stock for a B&C and installed a Jewel trigger. It shot 5/8 MOA with factory ammo and was great to carry .

Are the barrels large enough diameter at the muzzle to thread for 5/8x24?-- they have a threaded model but only come in a few cartridge options and barrels are even shorter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.