Newer Swaro rangefinder vs. older Swaro rangefinder

goodgrouper

Took two units out this evening into the canyon and tested them against each other. The older ranger was bought before they really hit stores and became common (about a year and a half ago) and the newer ranger is hot from the Swaro plant with a manufacturer's date listed as 6-25-06.

First subject to range was a bobcat sitting on it's hind quarters looking up at me. New beamed 74, old beamed 74.

Next subject was a quartering away doe mule deer. New beamed 274, old beamed 274.

Next subject was a barn perfectly perpendicular to me. New beamed 786, old beamed 788.

Next subject was a pavillion roof obliqued. New beamed 868, old beamed 867.

Next subject was a cliff face with irregular shapes. New beamed 1198, old beamed 1202.

Next subject was a clump of oak brush. New beamed 1666, old beamed 1670.

Next subject was another clump of oak brush. New beamed 1780, old beamed 1786.

Next subject was another clump of aok brush. New beamed 1890, old would not read until about the 5th or 6th measurement try and finally got 1900 even.

Next subject was another clump of oak brush. New beamed 1971, old took several shots but finally got "err" then one more try got 1925 to the grass just in front of the oaks.

Then I beamed a patch of brush just beyond the last clump what I guessed to be about 100 yards further out and neither ranger got a reading off of it.

On the exterior, both units are identical except for a weird diagram on the tripod thread body on the new one.

On the interior, glass was identical.

The display was a tad easier to read on the new one and didn't disappear like the old one would if you didn't look perfectly straight into it.

The new one also has a dimming feature to the display that the old one does not have. Looking into the bright areas of the canyon would make the display glow bright orange and then looking down into the canyon in the shadows would automatically dim the display. The old one is super bright all the time.

The aimer circle is the exact same size in both units, but the newer one seems to be just a hair thicker of a circle.

WHile ranging, the new one gave me first time reads all the way out to over 1900 yards and the old one started getting to the "re-measure" stage past 1700. Everything in from 1700 was a one time read though.

After putting several Leica 1200's, several Swaro's, and several Leupold rx 4's through the ringer, I can say that the Leica is a Ford mustang cobra, the Swaro is a Ford GT, and the Leupold is a Ford Model T. Leupy's got a lot of catching up to do!

Grouper, it looks like you finally have a R.F. that will go as far as the THUNDER !!! I'm glad it worked out for you. I guess I better start rat holeing some bucks!! ---RHB--

With my little experince with the Leup RX-4 I would have compared it to a Gremlin, cant remember who made that beast!!!

I had to talk bad about a company I love but it seems like Leup should stick to scopes, they definantly know that side of the business.

If swaro would just fix their reticle and maybe speed up their read back time I would say they sat on a ladder on top of the mountain of rangefinders. Either way they are definantly the best of whats out under 1 grand.

steve

[ QUOTE ]
I can say that the Leica is a Ford mustang cobra, the Swaro is a Ford GT, and the Leupold is a Ford Model T.

[/ QUOTE ]

GG,
Could you put this into Chevy speak for us Rat & Mouse motor fans.

DK

Took the newer unit out this morning and beamed a mountain behind my house and I was looking directly into the morning sun. The read was instant on one shot at 1568 on a grassy knoll! Good unit.

[ QUOTE ]
Took the newer unit out this morning and beamed a mountain behind my house and I was looking directly into the morning sun. The read was instant on one shot at 1568 on a grassy knoll! Good unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new unit has now beamed the same knoll twice each day (morning and evening) for the last two days and it has bounced 1568 every time and on the first try. It has been bright sunshine to low, rainy, overcast skies and everything inbetween and it works! I still wish it had a smaller aimer though and a better soft case.

Yea we got them in stock for 810.00 shipped CONUS

I hear you on the reticle. that is the only drawback to the thing. they are a hell of a rangefinder

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.