Newer Remington QC

I think the fit and finish on Remington's SPS models is pretty bad. The matte black coating is very coarse (making for a not so smooth new action) amd is an absolute rust magnet. I bought an AAC model in December. I had to tap the scope mount holes because it had too much of the matte crap in there. Gun shoots and functions flawlessly. Sub MOA with 168gr SMKs and 42gr RL-15 (a fairly universal recipe). I think a lot of the quality complaints come from experiences with the SPS products and I feel like a lot of that would go away if they just used a better finish. It makes those rifles look and feel cheap.

Also, some of the quality complaints may be from bench rest shooters who want to shoot .1 MOA groups and have to do too much work to a Remington to do so. I think a factory action with a quality barrel will easily shoot .5-.75 MOA with load development.

I have handled several 5R Remington's and wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Very nice finish and I have yet to hear from an actusa owner that they don't shoot.

Bergaras are great, but there's a few things they cheaped out on. The bolt shrouds are some kind of cast, any the bolt knobs are screwed on. If they would put a few more bucks onto the construction of their bolts I think it would be worth the cost. A very minor bitch but something to keep in mind if that kind of thing bugs you. It's a 700 pattern so for all I know you could just throw an aftermarket shroud an bolt handlehan your choice on it.

Most of that Remington QC stuff is just internet ********. Some of it is legit, some of it is people who know someone, who's brother knows someone, who's former roommate had a rifle that wouldn't shoot. See where I'm going with that? :rolleyes:

All of the 5R series rifles are not your typical Remington. They use actual real M24 and M40 barrels built for Remington by Schneider. So, it's basically a semi-custom 700 with a super high-quality aftermarket Schneider barrel on it. Don't be worried about buying one...It will shoot, especially with handloads.

And yes, the 5R rifles are superbly accurate (I have 2 of them, hoping to order a 3rd one very soon). They shoot with the best of them. I will, however, recommend immediately swapping out the crappy factory trigger for an aftermarket unit.

As for crooked barrels... There's a 99% chance most of those are just crooked stocks (barrel channel was cut crooked when it was made)...NOT the barrel-to-receiver fitment being off.

I saw a youtube video of a guy shooting a high-end Bergara the other day, and it was having firing pin issues when he was shooting it suppressed. Apparently after several shots, it got slightly dirty, and it would gum up from carbon, and cause light strikes with the firing pin. Didn't look promising to me, but that's just personal opinion.

I went over to the Schneider site and noticed their barrels are button pulled but the Remington site says their 5R varients are all cold hammer forged. I wonder if they're all in-house now.

Bergaras are great, but there's a few things they cheaped out on. The bolt shrouds are some kind of cast, any the bolt knobs are screwed on. If they would put a few more bucks onto the construction of their bolts I think it would be worth the cost. A very minor bitch but something to keep in mind if that kind of thing bugs you. It's a 700 pattern so for all I know you could just throw an aftermarket shroud an bolt handlehan your choice on it.
The Bergaras are a 700 footprint in that they will usually fit into a comparable 700 stock (SA Bergaras will fit a SA 700 stock) and I believe triggers (not 100% on this) but the bolts, bolt pieces, and barrels are not interchangeable.

Bergaras makes a great rifle but they are not perfect. Mine had to go back on warranty straight out of the box. I do not think their quality is any better or worse than a 5R Remington.

I went over to the Schneider site and noticed their barrels are button pulled but the Remington site says their 5R varients are all cold hammer forged. I wonder if they're all in-house now.
That's strange... I know they used to all be Schneider barrels, even up until a couple years ago (pre-GenII models). Maybe they are doing them in-house??? If they are, then they have figured out how to make a hell of a barrel, and they need to start using those 5R barrels on every rifle, because those things shoot, and clean up like magic. Now they just need to update some of their twist rates.

I used to have three rem700's my first one was an A prefix and it's quality of finish was really good, but I will not buy another, all my rifles are now based on Stiller Tac 30 actions and all are finished as good or better than that early rem700, in fact I got my smith remove a custom fitted match grade 223rem barrel out of one and fitted to a tac 30 action and the groups halved in size !!!! it's now a sub 1/2 moa performer for ten shots at 100m, if you look at my avitar thats a stiller tac30 in 308 that shoots into 1/2 moa all day, so I won't go back I am sorry to say.

My first 5R turned out to be a Dud. It was diagnosed with a "miscut headspace". It took Remington 6 months to replace the rifle after threats of a class action law suit. The new replacement that arrived came with a loose bolt. Although I can survive that the rifle is a shooter. Quality issues with Remington remain a big problem.

a mate gave me his sendero to investigate that didn't shoot well, anyway the barrel was off at an angle,when it was unscrewed it had over 3/8' runout at the muzzle and the chamber was off centre , another time I bought a second hand like new 223rem sps and it's firing pin hole had been factory bead blasted so much that the fired rifle primers looked like volcano's !!!! on a fired case. the bolt had to have the firing pin hole bushed and was then ok,

Approx. 5 years ago, I had a friend who wanted to get into the long range game. From personal experience, I had noticed the increase in poor accuracy coming from Remington rifles over the past 30 years. However, I had always felt their Sendero line was a cut above, so I recommended the Sendero in 300 RUM.

For five years we wrestled with that new $1,250 Sendero rifle trying to get some kind of consistency. Different bullets, loads, etc. Dropped in a custom trigger, re-crowned the barrel, re-bedded the stock, lapped rings (Nightforce rings, base & scope). Eventually sent the scope back to Nightforce to make sure that wasn't the problem. Never could get that Sendero to consistently group better than 1.5" at 100 yds. Remington's response was that their Sendero was "within acceptable tolerances". I know it wasn't the shooter because he would shoot bug holes when he got behind my custom 300 RUM.

We spent tons of time and money trying to get that Sendero to shoot. When we were ready to finally throw in the towel, we had spent the equivalent of a new custom rifle. My friend had a new custom rig built in 300 Norma Mag and is now consistently grouping 0.5 MOA with that rifle.

I'm not bashing Remington, just stating my experience. I was bitterly disappointed in the Sendero - especially since it had been my recommendation. Bottom line: any make of rifle can be a shooter or a piece of crap. As others have pointed out, you can even get a bad barrel from a custom build. However, the custom barrel makers tend to stand behind their product, so in the end a custom rifle will usually never disappoint.

In the long range game, so many things can go wrong. You will never master it unless or until all your equipment performs rock solid every time. Everything else needs to be taken out of the equation, so that when a miss occurs - more than likely you know it was you or your final calculations for drop and wind that is responsible for the miss. This is when you can actually begin to learn.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck in a fun and challenging sport.

I bought the Bergara and am very pleased. Still working on load development and bench shooting skill but put two 10 round strings in an inch at 41.5 and 41.7 H4350 (Hornady 140 ELD bullet, Hornady brass, FGM 210 primer.) Note: I'm confident the rifle will do much better than that as two of the 5 round mags worth were in less than 1/2 inch but together they ran about an inch for both loads. I also re-barreled an older Remington 223 SPS SA with a factory 6.5 CM barrel I found on Ebay. I haven't run it through the paces yet since I re-stocked it as well, put the first couple rounds were touching. Again, precision rifle shooting is a work in process for me. Next step is to load some more and get on the 400 yard range and see how they do. I like the 6.5. Jim

Remington has been and may be around longer than most I do have a couple 5-r and love them with no problems also have several down to earth Remington I wouldn't trade for any reason. now I have picked up bergara b-14 h m r that very awesome will be keeping it along with my Remingtons.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.