Newer Remington QC

Based largely on MudRunner's advice I purchased a 5R Milspec in 300WM last year. Upgraded the trigger, bedded it and added a brake. I haven't shot it that much yet but at 300 yards I can consistently fire 1 1/2" groups with multiple types of factory ammo. I'm not THAT good of a shot - this rifle makes it easy.

I've been a Model 70 guy for awhile now but I would never hesitate to buy a Remington 5R.

Last edited:
I have Model 70 , it came with a plastic stock . The stock was junk. I purchase pre 64 wood stock from e bay . I had to refit the magazine and trigger area. Now it shoots great. I have had many Rem Mdl 700 and 721. and. had no problems. The 721 shot .5 moa.

i've only had 3 remingtons, but no problems with any of them. i think 95% of QC problems are just internet legends.

i just bought a 700 ADL from cabelas to do a 6.5 CM build myself. all i wanted was the action and bolt. planning a timney trigger, bartlein barrel, undecided on stock at the moment and a NF on a badger base/rings. (speaking of badger, i've read internet folklore about their stuff being crap - again, i've never had a problem with it)

i have a burris xtrii mil/mil on an AR10 in 6.5 CM. great scope for the money. i paid right at $1k about 2 years ago for it.

I just bought a 700 (my first) in 22-250 for a dog stick and got a hundred dollar rebate from Remington to boot. Don't like the factory trigger at all, but easily rectified (and will be soon). Mounted a clunky ATN on it. I'm sure it will shoot just fine and if it don't, I'll rebarrel it with a Bartlien.

Not many factory long actions are capable of feeding jumped boolets without a Wyatt box installed. Easy to do too.

I'm wanting to jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon and can't decide on which rifle. I'd like to get a 700 5r gen 2 but am worried, I keep seeing post about their recent years quality issues. I've never handles a 5r but all the senderos I've handled recently had the barrels crooked in the stock channel. Are the 5r's any better? I'm not a fan of the tikka stocks. Bergara seems interesting and the ones I held seemed quality. Or my other option I considered is I have a savage action laying around. It's a long action but might help with seating longer bullets. Put it in a McMillan stock and aftermarket barrel. All my others I've done like that have been shooters. Probably going to top it off with a Burris XTR II.

rick davis
I have a 6.5 T3, Tikka that is a fine 1/2 M.O.A shooter that I really like.. It is in a
KRG, X-RAY CHASSIS and incidentally, also has a BURRIS XTR II but I think the scope amounts to overkill and I think I will take it off and put it on a 700X300 mag
that is a SAVAGE 300 win mag precision that is my overall critter getter..

Here in Utah, we have what is called a milk jug shoot that is set up every 100 yards
up to a mile or mile and 1/2, that is having a lot of fun competing in..
My only problem is getting magazine for the Savage 300 and I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAVAGE..

Dallas

rick davis
I have a 6.5 T3, Tikka that is a fine 1/2 M.O.A shooter that I really like.. It is in a
KRG, X-RAY CHASSIS and incidentally, also has a BURRIS XTR II but I think the scope amounts to overkill and I think I will take it off and put it on a 700X300 mag
that is a SAVAGE 300 win mag precision that is my overall critter getter..

Here in Utah, we have what is called a milk jug shoot that is set up every 100 yards
up to a mile or mile and 1/2, that is having a lot of fun competing in..
My only problem is getting magazine for the Savage 300 and I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAVAGE..

Dallas

Oddly, Savage is about the only major gun maker I haven't owned. Well, I did have one a very long time ago but I'm not counting that one. I hear they shoot good. What's the deal with the magazine?

Oddly, Savage is about the only major gun maker I haven't owned. Well, I did have one a very long time ago but I'm not counting that one. I hear they shoot good. What's the deal with the magazine?
3 and 5 round magazines are the only ones that you can get for the model 110 Savage and the are up around $100.00

Unless you've got an older side-release, magazines are all over GunBroker for $35 give or take. I got a NIB A-Bolt mag for $35 plus shipping where Midway lists them for just under a Benjamin.

Unless you've got an older side-release, magazines are all over GunBroker for $35 give or take. I got a NIB A-Bolt mag for $35 plus shipping where Midway lists them for just under a Benjamin.
The internal removable A-Bolt/A-Bolt II magazine? What cartridge is it stamped for on the side?

Guys have covered it but I'll put my two cents in. I purchased a Remington SPS tactical in 6.5 CM last year, put a grayboe terrain stock on it which I love, and swapped the 10x trigger onto it from my other rem. Thing shot 3/4 MOA the very first trip to the range with berger 140 elite hunters, and not even broken in yet. No doubt I can tighten up that load. Keep in mind, that's the standard Remington SPS tactical, and it comes factory threaded. No doubt in my mind the 5R would shoot as good or likely better.

Here's a caveat though - the Remington short actions are just that - short. If you seat your bullets way out to the lands, you're going to have issues. Honestly that's why anymore I like building most things on Remington LONG actions, and not worrying about magazine length.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.