Newbie reloader question, type s match fl bushing vs master hunter die

shawn mcjunkin

I know people will think I'm an idiot but asking this anyway. Looking for anyone that has used these dies and can help me. I am getting ready to purchase dies, and I have decided to use the redding dies. I am a hunter, but I do like to practice longer shots and have a range to 800yrds. I am choosing between 2 die sets. The type S match bushing FL die set or the master hunter 2 die set for 28nos, 25-06, a 270 win. The debate is I like the idea of being able to set a chosen neck tension, and being able to fl size and bump shoulder with out continuously working the neck or even touching it if want to make modified cases. If the expander is removed, I can just use the bushing to set the neck size by .001 increments based on bushing decreasing the work on the brass neck. The only issue with that is that if any imperfections are in the brass, it will be left inside and may cause inaccuracy issues when seating bullet. The master hunter series will do the job, but the hang up is that when trying to adjust to get a correct shoulder bump that piece of brass is worked multiple time decreasing the life. Both of these sets have the same seater so that's not an issue.

Random question. Reading several different articles(i don't believe everything i read) some say crimp, some say no need to crimp on bolt action rounds because the neck tension will do the job. Do any of these rounds require crimping since these dies do not do this. I don't know.
Thanks in advance for advice, remember someone explained things to you before you became guru's (ha ha)!

It seems you will need to decide if you want to mess with the bushings.

If your chamber neck diameter is on the large side and you are using bushings you will need to reduce the neck diameter in 2 or 3 steps. Redding suggests only reducing the diameter by 0.004" at a time.

Bushing dies give you more options to fine tune your neck tension.

This isn't essential to accuracy and honestly, for a newbie reloader it might be just complicating things.

I have both types and get good results with them but I don't have any minimum spec chambers.

Sounds like you know quite a bit about what your doing bushing dies are great but if you are using the ammo for hunting I would use a little tighter tension so when in the field you don't have any issues with bullet moving as for crimping I only crimp on guns with tubular magazine if you crimp on a round with specific neck tension it changes when you crimp and is usually detrimental to accuracy not sure if this helps good luck

Explain to me what minimum spec chamber has to do with neck tension.

Some chambers require you to turn necks to get the brass to fit. So in this case a bushing die would be ideal. Doesn't really have anything to do with actual neck tension. I know very little about this subject but this is what I've learned.

I have wild cat chambers I have to turn necks, some I choose to some I dont I'm fully aware of that.
Neck tension is neck tension no matter what the chamber.
So what is minimum spec?

I use both the master hunter and bushings dies
I just started with the bushing dies just to see if they make a difference or not really haven't noticed any
And crimping with either one will damage the sitting dies if you aren't using knurled Bullets
And you can bump shoulder back with both

One thing I have noticed for myself especially, and from friends, not too many guys who use bushing dies go back to a reg die. Where I have seen guys add a bushing die to existing sets of dies.
Now there are instances where reg sizing dies rule, but I loathe pulling an expander ball back through a neck.
Lose the misconception about the reg die overworking a couple pcs of brass setting the die up, just pull the guts out of the die till it is set, then put it back in, run that pc in far enough to expand it. Plus, I am sure someone will attempt to flame me, you talk of pushing inconsistencies to the outside with the expander, does seating a bullet not do the same thing?
And don't let someone tell you one size neck tension fits all. Quick story, 3 of us chambered 6 XC's, all were expensive components. All Norma brass, we kinda did load dev together, or conferred with each other. We were all hung up with rifles that shot in the mid .3"s, I finally stepped down to a .267 bushing, others followed and now our guns were shooting in the high 0''s, low .1's.
It pays to experiment.

Last edited:
I use both the master hunter and bushings dies
I just started with the bushing dies just to see if they make a difference or not really haven't noticed any
And crimping with either one will damage the sitting dies if you aren't using knurled Bullets
And you can bump shoulder back with both
Either set of dies he has picked out are not able to crimp any bullet.

One thing I have noticed for myself especially, and from friends, not too many guys who use bushing dies go back to a reg die. Where I have seen guys add a bushing die to existing sets of dies.
Now there are instances where reg sizing dies rule, but I loathe pulling an expander ball back through a neck.
Lose the misconception about the reg die overworking a couple pcs of brass setting the die up, just pull the guts out of the die till it is set, then put it back in, run that pc in far enough to expand it. Plus, I am sure someone will attempt to flame me, you talk of pushing inconsistencies to the outside with the expander, does seating a bullet not do the same thing?
And don't let someone tell you one size neck tension fits all. Quick story, 3 of chambered 6 XC's, all were expensive components. All Norma brass, we kinda did load dev together, or conferred with each other. We were all hung up with rifles that shot in the mid .3"s, I finally stepped down to a .267 bushing, others followed and now our guns were shooting in the high 0''s, low .1's.
It pays to experiment.
That's why I'm messing with the s bushing glad to know how they are working