Newbie Question

Range Me

Hello, I am new here on the site although I've been watching from the side line for quite some time. I have been thoroughly impressed with much of the info here. I would like to know if anyone here has made an attempt at dressing up a Remington 7mm SAUM or 300 SAUM (Short Action Ultra Mag) for long range shooting / hunting? I have been tinkering with both in the 700 Sendero package, but have not had either one out to shoot yet. Any thoughts on their capabilty for a long range system?

Range Me,

Welcome to LRH!!

The SAUMs will do anything the WSM rounds will do as far as performance and long range shooting. Both you mention would be very useful in a properly set up rifle for long range shooting.

Unfortunately the WSM rounds got a solid jump on the SAUMs and are kicking the hell out of them in sales which is why we hear so much more on the WSM compared to the Rem versions.

This does not take away from their value. They are, like the WSM rounds, very good designs offering great performance in a small compact package.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby is right... nearly , mostly the same perfromance...

I would have really liked to experiment with a 6.5 SAUM... i feel that case is better suited for the 6.5 bullets. However, I feel because Win. got the jump and is just rolling in the $$$ from sales I think the RSAUM will be a thing of the past before long...

but until then experiment away... and have fun!

Range Me
I have a 7SAUM that I just finished putting together for long range work. It consists of a 27" Douglass XX barrel on a factory Savage action with a Sharp Shooters Supply recoil lug and trigger. Haven't done much more than break in the barrel and preliminary load development as I'm waiting to get a Conquest to mount on it, but hope to have it up and going by hunting season. I'm expecting great things from this round with the 160 gr Accubond.

Chris

Greatly appreciate the info. My plan is to start with the 7mm then procede to the 300. I will test the factory 26" stainless/fluted and see how it responds. If it is not tight enough, then I may consider the custom 27" or A.S. FatBoy barrel. It is reassuring to hear that the potential is there! Thanks again!

I just broke my Sendero 300 RSAUM in. After 20 shots with the 150 gr factories, 8 inch group at 100 yds, I shot 10 165 gr factories, 0.790 in group. As far as I am concerned, its broke in. I started playing with the 175 SMK, got a 0.240" (53.5 gr Varget) and 0.454" (54 gr Varget) at 2950 fps. Yesterday I used a ballistic program to calculate my drop at 500 m and went out and shot a group. I have very limited experience with shots at this range, but at 300 yds I shot 1.8" and then a 4.2" 500 m group. For this newb, I am pleased.

By the way, my Model 7 300 SAUM shoots under 2 inches at 300 yds.

jb
Could you give me a little more detail on who Butch is and how to get ahold of him? Like Ric I've got the itch to play with the 6.5 saum, just can't decide weather or not to scratch it.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.