Newbie Introduction (underdog)

underdog

Just wanted to take a couple of minutes to introduce myself. First off, I am new to the long range hunting discipline and have used this site as a great resource to understand what I need to get started. Thank you.....

I have always been an avid hunter, but like most easterners, at ranges that are usually less than 100 yards. At the range I usual stretch it to about 300 with some of my rifles.

I did serve in the USMC so I do have experience with the shooting aspect just not the hunting. Even though that has been several years removed I am pretty sure I can still hear my range coach on the firing line.

To get started I purchase a Rem 700 LR in 300 RUM (Should be in next week). Still kicking scope selection around but think that I am settled on a Redfield Revolution 3-9 Mil/Tac. I will post a few pictures once I get things in and together.

Again thanks for all of the information that you all make so readily available.

Sounds like you picked a good rifle to start with. IMO I would spend as much or more on the scope as the cost of the rifle. I would get at least an 16x or more scope so I could get as much as I could out of the 300rum. The rifle will only be as good as the optics on it (my opinion)

... Still kicking scope selection around but think that I am settled on a Redfield Revolution 3-9 Mil/Tac. ..
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with jf239. Redfield uses a two-piece tube construction, and the tubes aren't straight. It's roughly equivalent to a VX-1 in build quality, which is the cheapest line that Leupold makes. You'll probably be upgrading within a year.

unless you reload i would get a 300 wm. i would get a higher power scope. i would get a 6.5-20x40.

Thanks for the responses.

roninflag - Yes I reload do reload, so I am comfortable with the RUM. Didn't want to deal with the belt. Not that I couldn't but just didn't want to. Even with reloading I am running into is that brass is a hard to come by. I ordered some of the Rem Managed Recoil ammo and am going to shoot it just for the brass and trigger time.

bruce_ventura and jf239 - Thanks for the advise on optics. I am sure that I will eventually upgrade the scope but the good thing is that I already have the Redfield in hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.