Newbie, Gun setup

Hefwannabe

I have a new Ruger Mark 2 .338 magnum composite stock. Just getting started into bench shooting. Is this gun worth putting on a Timney trigger to improve accuracy? Also, should I use a gunsmith to perform the job, or can I do it?
Thanks. This board looks like it is full of great info.

I would not put the $ into a Timney for a ruger 338 in the composite stock.

Any decent smith can do a trigger job (2.5 lbs no less) and a bedding job and look at the crown and lugs. that is as good as you are going to get it. Cost should be max $200

the 338 is not the ideal gun for bench type shooting, not in a 8lb or under gun. Howeve, excellant hunting set up with the mods just talked about and probably more than acceptable accuracy at that point.

BH

I plan on using this gun for hunting also. I actually bought it for an Elk hunt in December. And since I have a membership at a gun club, I have been shooting more. Longest I can shoot at my range is 300 yards. Thanks for advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.