New Zealand Elk

Wizard of Oz

I've already posted this in the deer forum ...then saw the elk forum. I am curious how it compares with ones from N, America? " elk 900+kgs, 350 mts with 4 foot antlers " Cheers

Attachments

• elk 2.jpg
    elk 2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 272
There is no way that elk weighs 900 kilos. That is 1980lbs. It might weigh 900lbs but most of the elk here weigh quite a bit less than 900lbs. A big bull might weigh 7-800lbs. The bull I shot last year had 4 foot main beams so that is not totally uncommon. I don't know what 350 mts means but my guess is it's suppose to be a score measurement. That bull could definitely be 350".

I've already posted this in the deer forum ...then saw the elk forum. I am curious how it compares with ones from N, America? " elk 900+kgs, 350 mts with 4 foot antlers " Cheers

To clarify things, I did not shoot it , it was in an email from a deer hunting buddy and I was curious if it was the same size or bigger than the N.American ones. It's one impressive beast and makes Aussie Sambar look small by comparison. Sorry for any confusion.

That is a very nice elk! Not trying to belittle your kill but was that elk taken on a ranch of some sort or was it a free range elk?
Pen job. We dont have any pure Elk left in the wild. We have only ever had a small area with free range/wild elk and that has been contaminated with Red deer for a long time now. Best ones are 50/50 or 60/40 Elk/Red deer cross.

Even most of the high fenced Elk has some Red blood in them and vice versa.

New Zealand hunting is on my bucket list. I watched shows with the huge red deer and have saw some the Teddy's elk . All of this grow into monsters over in New Zealand !

Beautiful elk, but I just hate those Eastman Journal pictures where the guy backs up to make the animal appear bigger. Go back another foot and he could be a 450. Where we hunt four foot beam is called a good elk, five foot a big elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.