New to elk hunting

midmo

I have always wanted to elk hunt. A good friend of mine just took a job in Montana near Great Falls area. Is there any elk in the area? If not how far would you go to get to where they are? A group of is are talking making a trip in a year or so and we would like to get get tags and give it a try. If any of you are barley farmers up there you will be meeting my friend after May.

I would start by downloading the regs from the MT fish & game site. School up on the 'points' system, if they have one. Even if one doesn't plan to hunt right away, it usually doesn't cost much to get a 'preference point' towards a future hunt.

In most states where you hunt won't matter as you build a few points, as long as the species is what you want, Elk or whatever.

There are Elk in lots of places around Montana. I haven't hunted in the Great Falls area but my uncle has taken a few elk around there. I would assume you would go south of Great Falls and find some in the mountains there, not sure if those areas are open to general elk tags or limited draw.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.