Elk in New Mexico

I have hunted cow there a lot. Get several as a group every time we go but they push to private land very fast. Also I never have seen any big bulls. Actually not a lot of bulls at all. I have a friend who lives in the area they say they have never been known for big bulls. This is close to Chama about 45 miles east. I think we're talking about the same area.

Anyone hunted in north central New Mexico, West of Taos for elk?
If so, how were the Elk numbers and how did you do?

22 Mag
Hunted the big canyon about 30 miles south of Chama last fall. Went with One on One Adventures. Bill Lewellen (his dad Otis should write a book!) runs a decent camp and really a pretty easy hunt. Lots of elk in that area and some big bulls. Shot a decent 5x5 at 400yds. (One and done btw!) If you get a tag for that area just be ready for a 500yd shot!

Thanks for the input guys.
400 yards I have done on Deer, but 500?? Hummmm.
We will see if we get draw'n for the tags in early June.

22 Mag

A good friend and I hunted elk in NM two years in a row years ago. The first year we drew OIL tags in the Valle Vidal for the NR elk firearm hunt and we both shot 6x6's. (This is the elk in my avatar.)

We liked NM so much we applied for the Gila the following year and drew NR elk firearms hunt tags. That year we both shot 6x7's. Since then we haven't been so fortunate in drawing limited entry tags.

Those were two of the most memorable hunts I've ever been on.

Last edited:
That area is great for quanity, almost everyone will get a branch antlered bull.

If your outfitter has the right leases, and you catch the migration, it's stupid good for quanity, and quality.

This will be my 4th year going to New Mexico for elk. By far, one of my favorite places to hunt where you don't have to worry about bears and wolves.
Where do u go to get a tag?? Sounds like private land just because you are so sure you will get drawn. I'm getting the itch to go on a private land hunt because I have been skunked for 5 years now

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.