New to whitetail

Many opportunities around in the eastern states, look thru scopes and let your own eyes tell you what is clear and bright. Any place that sells them will let you compare. If you already shoot you probably have a favorite type rifle, lever actions, bolt actions, semi automatics, If not browse some gun shops and hold and check out some models. Several good books or whitetail magazines to read. best way to learn is get out in the woods and look for sign, trails and droppings, as well as rubs and scrapes. Maybe hunt with a guide service a couple times to get a feel for how they do it. Here where I live they are plentiful and the seasons are long, month of bow, month of rifle, 2 weeks of muzzleloader. Good Hunting Dave

anything looks good in controlled light. even gunstore parking lots at night have enough stray light to make cheap scopes look useable.

For years, I've taken my kid hunting and we have tried out different combos in real field tests. Bino vs bino and scope vs scope. Often with 2 optics that looked the "same" in the parking lot, one lets you count points on a buck, the other shows a blurry blob out in a field under low light conditions (when high-pressured east coast deer usually show themselves)

my own experiences with lower magnification "deer hunting" scopes mirror these results. The black "optical clarity" portion is fundamentally important.
1582914987552.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.