New to whitetail

Herbie

Since I am a newbie to most all things Whitetail, what resources would you recommend for study, etc. Any particular magazines?
I hope to learn enough to get a LR shot at a decent buck somewhere in North America.
Thanks in advance.

Only good way is to find a mentor. You will learn so much more for that than any book. Especially key things like stalking.
Everything we hunt somewhere the guides are impressed how we are able to stalk. If you can stalk a heavy hunted Michigan whitetail you can stalk about anything. Lots of failure while learning and I had a great mentor.

Where are you hunting? Will you be more of a still hunting set up or spot/stalk mind set? Are u hunting public land or club or guided hunts?

also!! U do not need a super high dollar hunting rifle! or does it have to be some
Wammy Jammy magnum to kill white tails. Spend money on top end optics vs top end LR rifle! You can buy a very good production rifle and put a very good Leupold(VH5HD my personal favorite) or a good Nighforce with quality ammunition and you will be set

Last edited:
Where are you hunting? Will you be more of a still hunting set up or spot/stalk mind set? Are u hunting public land or club or guided hunts?

also!! U do not need a super high dollar hunting rifle! or does it have to be some
Wammy Jammy magnum to kill white tails. Spend money on top end optics vs top end LR rifle! You can buy a very good production rifle and put a very good Leupold(VH5HD my personal favorite) or a good Nighforce with quality ammunition and you will be set

This. You can also buy a really nice used rifle from the classifieds here that will be more than serviceable for whitetail.

What is it about the VH5HD you like so well? Is it light gathering ability?

I hope to experience hunts around the continental US and Alaska also.

The Leupold VX5HDs are in my opinion....best scope for the money you can by
1) made in US(not a must but a plus)
2) with out question great warranty
3) great glass, super clear, great low light. I have 3-15x56 and will be buying a 3-15x44
4) dependable tracking
5) great price point for the quality.
6) not heavy.

as far as rifles I think a good trigger is extremely important. i'd rather have a 2 minute rifle with a good 2# or less trigger than a quarter minute gun with a miserable trigger. I too like the leupold scopes. I've killed a lot of deer at very last light, nature of the animal. light transmission and resolution are very important to me in a scope. I use the heavy duplex reticle. it shows up well in low light and in the woods and i'm able to shoot 400 yds. just using the reticle with a 3006 velocity type rifle.

Third on a good scope over high dollar rifle. I use both a Leupold vx-5hd and a vx-6hd. I do prefer the 6 but not sure it's worth the additional cost over the 5.

I have used several reticle but prefer the heavy duplex or my favorite is the Fire Dot Duplex in the VX5HD, IMO I would love to have a VX6HD or a Mark series Leupold but for the cost I believe the VH5HD is best....

as far as trigger....a good trigger is very important to me also, but I have a local gun Smith do a "trigger job" (not sure what all he does) and it comes back perfect and only cost $75, before I ever hunt with it I get the trigger worked!

I have shot a lot of different production rifles, but my favorites have been the Weatherby rifles Mark V or the Vanguard, I also really like the Winchester Classic Controlled feed, not that I think it's better then push fed, but I like Sako and Remington has never let me down and they are easy to find used and cheap but still in good condition.

Many opportunities around in the eastern states, look thru scopes and let your own eyes tell you what is clear and bright. Any place that sells them will let you compare. If you already shoot you probably have a favorite type rifle, lever actions, bolt actions, semi automatics, If not browse some gun shops and hold and check out some models. Several good books or whitetail magazines to read. best way to learn is get out in the woods and look for sign, trails and droppings, as well as rubs and scrapes. Maybe hunt with a guide service a couple times to get a feel for how they do it. Here where I live they are plentiful and the seasons are long, month of bow, month of rifle, 2 weeks of muzzleloader. Good Hunting Dave

North American Whitetail Magazine and any of the Bow Hunting mags. These have good reading. Apply all the tips and strategies that apply to your area.

Listed below are three links to do it you're self public land hunters. You can learn a lot from them but like snox801 said it's nothing compared to getting out there with a good mentor for some hands on training.

The Leupold VX5HDs are in my opinion....best scope for the money you can by
1) made in US(not a must but a plus)
2) with out question great warranty
3) great glass, super clear, great low light. I have 3-15x56 and will be buying a 3-15x44
4) dependable tracking
5) great price point for the quality.
6) not heavy.
Leupolds are by far my favorite scope. You can spend more but you don't get more.

I hunt the east coast and midwest extensively for whitetail.

a couple things: the most important consideration in deer hunting is finding a spot that produces quality buck. Nothing else is remotely as important. Unfortunately these days it is becoming more and more difficult to hunt anything except public land, which is a disaster. So if you have to pay to hunt, as in become part of a lease, or even give money to a landowner, then that is money better spent than ultra-high grade equipment. Unfortunately even then you will be confounded by trespassers and poachers gleefully ruining all your expensive preparations (for example, on opening day of rifle, I found a week-old bloodstain in the beanfield 30 yards from my stand - a trespasser had been poaching out of my spot before season began, and had ruined it).

As far as a rifle, most anything will kill a deer. what you get is up to you and dependent on the terrain. Without belaboring the obvious, wide open fields call for one type of rifle, 50yd heavy brush shots call for another. For optics, I got rid of all my hunting leupolds as soon as I discovered Zeiss back in the early 2000's. I used to think Leupold's asian "made in America" glass was awesome, but that was due more to lack of experience at the time. For light gathering and clarity, they don't come close. And their CS has taken a nose dive from the good years of the late 90's. I recently had to send in one of my remaining target leupolds for an issue. It took them considerably longer to return it to me than Swaro did when they sent a scope back to Austria for cleaning and repair.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.