New to the game

JaredA

Hello all
Ive been hunting for 10 years now here in Nebraska. I'm looking at getting into some long range shooting and hunting in the western part of the state. But first i need a rifle. Deer hunting mostly, but i am planning on doing some elk, and maybe bear hunting in future years. Any reccomendations for me being a begininer in the Long range game? I currently shoot a Browning 270 WSM and i have killed deer at 300-350 yards. Ive looked at the 300RUM but just seeing if there were other guns out there that might be better. Thanks! Any advice is appreciated.
Jared

Personally I would look into staying with the WSM you currently own. There are smiths out there that do accurize the Browning rifles. Matrix bullets offer some high ballistic coefficient bullets in the .277 caliber. IF you don't reload, then that is where you should start. You can really optimize the potential of the 270 WSM by tailoring ammo to your rifle. The Hornady SST and Berger 150 would also be great options in the .277 caliber.

If you would rather build a rifle, than the 300 RUM, 300 Weatherby, 300 Win Mag, would be great options. If you want a little more heft, then go with the 338 Lapua, or 338 RUM. The Lapua will give you better brass options.

Tank

Jared,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I agree with Tank, there are guys here that have taken elk, IIRC at the 700-800 yard range with the 165/175 grain Matrix bullets ... I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Again, welcome!

Ed

Thanks for the responses guys. I had a feeling you would recommend sticking with the 270 WSM that i have. Forgive my ignorance, but would i have to have my rifle bored out to shoot a .277 caliber bullet through a .270 rifle? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but like the title (new to the game) feel free to call me newbie. If i do make modifications i cant make the gun too heavy until after this time next year because we are going wolf hunting in Alaska and i plan on shooting it then. Is there a thread on here that really goes back to the basics of ballistics/rifles that i can check out?

Thanks for the responses guys. I had a feeling you would recommend sticking with the 270 WSM that i have. Forgive my ignorance, but would i have to have my rifle bored out to shoot a .277 caliber bullet through a .270 rifle? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but like the title (new to the game) feel free to call me newbie. If i do make modifications i cant make the gun too heavy until after this time next year because we are going wolf hunting in Alaska and i plan on shooting it then. Is there a thread on here that really goes back to the basics of ballistics/rifles that i can check out?

Negative! The .270 caliber (Win, WSM,WM, etc..) barrel is bored to .277". In other words, .270 cal = .277 bore.

270WSM.gif

Here's a good book by Bryan Litz - http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/07/book-review-a-new-ballistics-resource-from-bryan-litz/

Last edited:
What advantages would the .277 caliber bullet give me over the .270? All this info is pretty cool! Is this a bullet you can just buy off the shelf or do you have to special order these online? Thanks again for your guys help.

What advantages would the .277 caliber bullet give me over the .270? All this info is pretty cool! Is this a bullet you can just buy off the shelf or do you have to special order these online? Thanks again for your guys help.

.270 cal rifles uses .277 diameter bullets! Look at the cartridge diagram I attached on my previous post. Also, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.270_Winchester_Short_Magnum

ADDED:

Maybe this might help ...

P1130662.jpg

Last edited:
Safe to say that i feel dumb. Never knew that. Looks like a i have some reading and learning to do! Thanks for the info. Jared.

Safe to say that i feel dumb. Never knew that. Looks like a i have some reading and learning to do! Thanks for the info. Jared.

Your not the first person to be confused by the nomenclature used in ammunition. Even if you don't have any reloading equipment, I would suggest getting the Lee Reloading manual. It goes over a lot of beginning knowledge stuff for cartridge loading, bullet design, size, uses. It also gets into some advanced loading for target shooting and things. I highly suggest it as a beginning shooters read to understand the basics of ammunition. Also an advanced read would be Bryan Litz book called, "Applied Ballistics." A lot of the guys on here have found that information very useful.

Tank

Newbie!! LOL I'm just teasing you. Welcome to LRH. I too have just started in this game and I have TONS to learn. Spend as much time as you can reading the pages of this forum. Better yet, try to find someone in your local area that can assist you in this journey. If you can have someone mentor you and guide you in this game, it will speed the learning process up. I still need to attend a local range (Sacramento, CA) that has a lot of skilled people shooting long range. I'm also waiting for a long range shooting orientation that is held there every year. Good luck and have fun!

Curtis

JaredA- WELCOME. the answers to most of the questions on LR. remington sendero. leup 6.5-20. a good laser range finder. good ammo. usually reloads.

JaredA, To shoot greater distances is going to take practice as I sure you realize. The time spent at the local range with other shooters has benifits. It will give you exposer to many fellas who load and have knowledge to pass on. This will benifit you in many ways. They will be local guys who may offer guidence or mentoring in reloading. I never met a true gun nut at the range that didn't want to talk about his gun or loads. You'll know who they are as they'll have piles of stuff for range session piled all around them and take 20 minutes just to unload there truck. LOL

Good Luck,
Gene

JaredA, I never met a true gun nut at the range that didn't want to talk about his gun or loads. You'll know who they are as they'll have piles of stuff for range session piled all around them and take 20 minutes just to unload there truck. LOL

Good Luck,
Gene

Ain't that the truth. It take longer for me to get setup than it does for me to actually sit down and shoot. I spend the better part of 20min unloading my car and take 5min to shoot some test loads. I only live 10min from the range by car. So I tend to waste a little gas. There has been more than once I liked a load and ran home to throw some more rounds together to double check and run back to the range.:rolleyes: It's all for the greater cause!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.