New to shooting long range.

noobtrooper

Ok I am new to shooting long range I have taken a few shots at around 300 yards but only because I knew my old rifle and thats around the range it was sighted in at. I do not currently have a scope but am planning to buy this Leapers UTG 3-12x44mm SWAT IE AO Mildot EZ-TAP Rain-Proof Riflescope FREE S&H SCP3-UM312AOIEW. Leapers UTG Rifle Scopes, Leapers Rifle Scopes. With a set of high rise rings to mount it on my sigm400. I have shooting solution free (its an android app) I am really clueless atm about how to even use a scope with mil dots, ive only ever used duplex style cross hairs but I want to be able to make longer shots and punch holes in paper at around 600 yards. My question is would I just use hold over with that scope? Sight it in at 100 yards and then my BC would give me the drop and wind drift correction.

75gr bthp would have a drop of 5.08mils and a drift of 1.0 so I could just use the mildots and hold 5 over and 1 mil to the left correct? (if the wind is coming from 3:00)

Also how could I use the turrents to dial corrections in? I really dont understand the mill dots with moa turrents or how that works. I'm desperate, its my primary reason for joining this forum. I've looked and looked but I cannot find alot of clear cut and dry info. I wont have my scope for a few months tho (financial problems due to a medical issue in the family) After this trouble passes and if I can learn how to shoot decently with the leapers scope Ill probably upgrade.

Noob
Relax, you've come to the right place. This forum is just full of good information and good people that will be glad to help you.

First, let me recommend a different scope to you. The one you've mentioned has some features that are not necessary (illuminated reticle). Given the low price along with unnecessary features, tells me that the overall quality of the optic is not great. Save a few more dollars and get yourself a better scope. Here's the one that I started with:

Bushnell Elite 10x40 MilDot Target Turrets Argon Fixed Power Riflescope FREE S&H ET1040. Bushnell Rifle Scopes.

You can see the scope on one of my rifles here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

As for mil-dots with moa turrets, I want you to ignore the mil-dots until you have a better understanding of mils. You should concentrate on learning to dial your corrections with the turrets. So take your shooting solution and set it up for moa adjustments.

Here's an example of adjusting your turrets for a 600 yard shot. Lets say you input all your data into your shooting solution (bullet weight, BC, velocity, temp, barometric pressure, altitude) and at 600 yards it says you need 12.25moa 'up'. In the case of the scope I mention above, it has 10moa per revolution. This means you would turn one whole revolution, and keep turning until you get to 2.25.

As for wind, many shooting solutions default to 10mph. My recommendation is to input wind as 1mph. This way the math is easy as it means you know what your wind correction is per mile per hour. Lets say your shooting solution says that you need .5moa per mil per hour of wind at 600 yards and the wind is blowing from 3 o'clock at 4mph. 4mph x .5moa = 2moa 'right'. Turn your windage know to 2moa 'right.' Then hold the crosshairs on the target and watch the bullet go there. If it doesn't, your wind call is off.

Make sense?

@trebark Wow Thank you, you explained in 2 paragraphs what 2 books and 4+ threads on another form. I really REALLY appreciate your help, it was tremendous. I could literally feel the comprehension sink into my brain lol :D

@trebark Wow Thank you, you explained in 2 paragraphs what 2 books and 4+ threads on another form. I really REALLY appreciate your help, it was tremendous. I could literally feel the comprehension sink into my brain lol :D

Glad it was helpful and makes sense. Now that you have an understanding of optics and turret adjustments, tell us a little about your rifle. We might be able to help you there too.

Its still really basic its a stock sigm400 enhanced its chambered for 5.56 1:7 twist and seems to prefer 62gr ammo (tho I'd like to try 69 and 77gr) and has magpul moe furniture. I really enjoy shooting it (iron sights right now) but due to the current ammo market, it has less than 100 rounds through it.

Its still really basic its a stock sigm400 enhanced its chambered for 5.56 1:7 twist and seems to prefer 62gr ammo (tho I'd like to try 69 and 77gr) and has magpul moe furniture. I really enjoy shooting it (iron sights right now) but due to the current ammo market, it has less than 100 rounds through it.

An AR is a decent platform for longrange shooting though not optimal. To shoot beyond 300 yards you will want to develop a load with 68+ grain bullet. Even with a heavy bullet the wind will be a challenge. I say this from seeing a buddy of mine who has an AWESOME AR that he built specifically for longrange shooting. He shoots the Berger 70grain VLD out of 24" bull barrel. As soon as the wind starts to get switchy it was a struggle to put bullets on target beyond 400.

Consider picking up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 243 or 308. They can be found for less than $500 and are a great platform to start with.

I would but I'm really not going to be buying anyguns for a while. I figured for 600 yards I'd have to use 77gr bullets, there are only a few select places to shoot beyond 300 yards here anyway Lots and lots of trees and brush.

I would but I'm really not going to be buying anyguns for a while. I figured for 600 yards I'd have to use 77gr bullets, there are only a few select places to shoot beyond 300 yards here anyway Lots and lots of trees and brush.

For 600 yards your AR should be ok. Regardless of the bullet you use, you will become a wind doping master!

Rather than the 77grain SMK, look at the Berger 70grain VLD. It has a better BC and by virture of being lighter, you send send them faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.