New to shooting long range.

Southern missouri. Its mostly a local problem, packs of dogs breed with coyotes and the like. Carry all kinds of wonderful diseases including rabies. I've lost more than just a few pets and chickens to them was lucky enough to never be attacked tho, cant say the same for some of my buddies.

Hey,

I looked at the link you posted, and under "package contents" it lists a mil-dot chart. That might be helpful in determining holdovers, adjustments, and might have stuff on converting mils to in.

Personally, with my mil-dot scope, i took a box with a dot and then put a strip of tape every two inches down starting at the dot. Next i set it up at 100yd. Then i cranked my scope up to 12x (it is a 3-12X40 scope) and lined up on the bullseye. Each dot was about 2in apart.

Here are my full results:

Magnification: 100yd 200yd 300yd 400yd
6x 4" 8" 12" 16"
12x 2" 4" 6" 8"

Hope this was helpful

Hey,

I looked at the link you posted, and under "package contents" it lists a mil-dot chart. That might be helpful in determining holdovers, adjustments, and might have stuff on converting mils to in.

Personally, with my mil-dot scope, i took a box with a dot and then put a strip of tape every two inches down starting at the dot. Next i set it up at 100yd. Then i cranked my scope up to 12x (it is a 3-12X40 scope) and lined up on the bullseye. Each dot was about 2in apart.

Here are my full results:

Magnification: 100yd 200yd 300yd 400yd
6x 4" 8" 12" 16"
12x 2" 4" 6" 8"

Hope this was helpful

Whooaaah! Lets make sure we have the math and conversions right....

At 100 yards:

1mil = 3.438moa = 3.589inches

Sorry, allow me to clarify...

I bought a cheap firefieild scope. The milradian ranging works with the 4-16 model at 16x so in reality I can only have 87.5 milradian increments which is about 2in. @ 100

Hey, it only cost $65 and will hold 1" @ 100yd with my savage 93r17 in .17hmr

P.S. did I spell all of that right?

Sorry, allow me to clarify...

I bought a cheap firefieild scope. The milradian ranging works with the 4-16 model at 16x so in reality I can only have 87.5 milradian increments which is about 2in. @ 100

Hey, it only cost $65 and will hold 1" @ 100yd with my savage 93r17 in .17hmr

P.S. did I spell all of that right?

huh?? maybe I'm confused but I'm not sure what you're saying here, although I can say absolutely that....

at 100 yards, 1mil = 3.589"

http://www.mil-dot.com/media/1027/the_derivation_of_the_range_estimation_equations.pdf

My scope has the mil-dot style reticle, but the distance between the mils are off. The recticle is made to work in their 4-16 scope at 16x magnification. The mils end up arround 2in at 100 and when i try to range with it, the reading is way off.

Okay, basically it is a reticle with dots spaced 2" apart at 100yd, not a true mil-dot, and not technically a mil-dot scope either. It just has a similar recticle.

By the way you were dead on with the math, but since my scope isn't really a mil-dot, it wont pan out with my scope.

Last edited:
My scope has the mil-dot style reticle, but the distance between the mils are off. The recticle is made to work in their 4-16 scope at 16x magnification. The mils end up arround 2in at 100 and when i try to range with it, the reading is way off.

Okay, basically it is a reticle with dots spaced 2" apart at 100yd, not a true mil-dot, and not technically a mil-dot scope either. It just has a similar recticle.

By the way you were dead on with the math, but since my scope isn't really a mil-dot, it wont pan out with my scope.

aaaahhhh....your scope is a mil dot. I bet you just need to measure from the right place. If your reticle has dots, a full middle is measured from the middle of the dots not from the edges. So take your "about 2 inches" and add the distance to the middle of each dot and you'll get to 3.4" I bet. (of course when your scope is at 16x)

It helps, but it is still quite a bit off. I guess that firefield made a mistake when designing the scope.

P.S. Thanks for the suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.