New to reloading-7mm-08 question

Hey, my 7-08 likes Varget, H414, and CFE with 120 grain bullets. CFE seems to give the best velocity, I haven't noticed the temp issue. But I haven't been experimenting with it that long yet. With 48 grs of CFE and the 120 TSX I had 3059 FPS from my 22 inch barrel. Accuracy was good so I didn't push it any faster. H414 works well with 120 and 140 grain bullets. Varget works well with numerous 120 grain bullets, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Barnes all group well with velocity around 2860 FPS

You picked a great cartridge to start hunting and reloading with. It was the first cartridge I started reloading back in the earlier 80's. Killed my first moose with it using 140 gr Nosler partitions.
Have fun and Take Care
Rick, I shoot, the same load cfe, (48 grains), that you have, and it shoots dots. I'm actually, probably gonna settle on a 150 grain load, with RL16, that has been giving great results. Those 120's are smoking with the cfe223, though! Take care!
7:)

How do you guys think cfe will do on a western hunt? I have been out there where it was 14 degrees at 5 am and 60 at 5pm. What's the temp stability?

How do you guys think cfe will do on a western hunt? I have been out there where it was 14 degrees at 5 am and 60 at 5pm. What's the temp stability?
I'm not sure as to the stability issue, as I've just started using it. I've not heard much negative feedback, but I do think its fairly stable, but not one of its claim to fame quality's.
There's pros and cons to most of the propellants. Some powders are extremely temp sensitive.

To, the OP's opening statement, as far as selected bullet choices, I think you will do just fine, with the 120 ttsx. Given, that the ttsx works better, when driven fast, if you propel it quick enough, with a stiff, but safe load of either, Varget, ( as long as you can find it), or the cfe223.
I have experience with that bullet, shot at similar speeds obtainable with the 7-08, and I can tell you, nothing walks after that!.
The Barnes bullets, also like to be deep seated, as I've gotten my best results, when seated to the top band, and better yet, if you know how to apply a slight crimp, they even work better. Just my own experience, but I've done several A-B, tests, over the years, and it just works. Using a Lee, factory crimp die will get you there, easily, and inexpensively.
In that weight, either one of the two powders mentioned, will get you there.
Again, these are my experiences!

To, the OP's opening statement, as far as selected bullet choices, I think you will do just fine, with the 120 ttsx. Given, that the ttsx works better, when driven fast, if you propel it quick enough, with a stiff, but safe load of either, Varget, ( as long as you can find it), or the cfe223.
I have experience with that bullet, shot at similar speeds obtainable with the 7-08, and I can tell you, nothing walks after that!.
The Barnes bullets, also like to be deep seated, as I've gotten my best results, when seated to the top band, and better yet, if you know how to apply a slight crimp, they even work better. Just my own experience, but I've done several A-B, tests, over the years, and it just works. Using a Lee, factory crimp die will get you there, easily, and inexpensively.
In that weight, either one of the two powders mentioned, will get you there.
Again, these are my experiences!
7stw, thank you so much for the extensive reply. I had heard of the 7 shooting times western but always thought it was just something for the old lever guns from the westerns, lol. Boy was I wrong. Now that I have my reloading books I can see that's one heck of a round.

7stw, thank you so much for the extensive reply. I had heard of the 7 shooting times western but always thought it was just something for the old lever guns from the westerns, lol. Boy was I wrong. Now that I have my reloading books I can see that's one heck of a round.
It is that, and a lot more. The 7STW, was my passion, for nearly twenty years. I had several, and we even have a dedicated thread, on this website. Take a read sometime, it will take awhile.
I've always loved all things. 7mm. Thats why I fell in love with the 7-08. You'll find you can learn something about, just about anything here!

It is that, and a lot more. The 7STW, was my passion, for nearly twenty years. I had several, and we even have a dedicated thread, on this website. Take a read sometime, it will take awhile.
I've always loved all things. 7mm. Thats why I fell in love with the 7-08. You'll find you can learn something about, just about anything here!
STW ?????? Whats an STW, Never heard of it

Hey 7stw, have you tried the 145 LRX in your rifle? I loaded up a few with Varget but haven't shot them yet, kind of a chilly winter. I loaded up some 150 ELD-X and 162 ELD-X's with 8208, but it was only a single load of each and more testing needs to be done there. What was your load with RL16 and the 150grain bullet and which 150? I'm going to try to get out and do a little temp testing on the CFE, it'll have to wait until the weekend though. Supposed to be in the 20's in the morning and get to 37 later Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to all that have contributed

I'm a little late for this party but here is what I can recommend. I grew up using this cartridge and been using it for over 30 years.

You need a fast burn rate powder like IMR-4064, IMR-4895 or Varget, monolithic bullets are longer and will reduce you powder capacity so powders like IMR-4350 and others might not give you the velocity you need. In some rifles you can't seat bullets out more than the standard COAL of 2.80" so this limits powder capacity as well.

Now some monolithic bullets like barnes need a high velocity impact to ensure expansion so the 120gr might be your best option. You might be able to push it at around 3,000 fps in this cartridge with your 22" barrel. The heavier ones might just pencil through and produce a slow kill or even worse loose a wounded animal. I've seen it happen but luckily we recovered my buddy's deer a mile and hours later, with a broken front shoulder but hardly any damage to lungs.

My wife uses 42.5gr of IMR-4064 with the 120gr Ballistic tip and we use 24" barrels on ours, she gets just over 3,000 fps with this load.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum. I found this by a friend who is going to teach me how to reload. Bought a set of Hornady dies for 7mm -08. I run savage 110 storm with a 22 in barrel. I am from New Jersey but have been hunting in Idaho the past few years with a buddy from Arco. My main focus is mule deer. I have found my gun likes the Barnes ttsx bt. I have 50 each of 120 grain, 140 grain and 150 grain.
My question to the experts would be which grain weight would you choose for mulies and what velocity on the high end should I aim for with each grain weight. We will be using varget with star line brass. Thanks so much everyone.
I hate to bring this up but if you wanting to shoot mono bullets take a look at the 120 or 131 hammer hunters I think either one would make a great mule deer bullet and they have been very easy to make shoot very good

Hey 7stw, have you tried the 145 LRX in your rifle? I loaded up a few with Varget but haven't shot them yet, kind of a chilly winter. I loaded up some 150 ELD-X and 162 ELD-X's with 8208, but it was only a single load of each and more testing needs to be done there. What was your load with RL16 and the 150grain bullet and which 150? I'm going to try to get out and do a little temp testing on the CFE, it'll have to wait until the weekend though. Supposed to be in the 20's in the morning and get to 37 later Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to all that have contributed
Rick, the loads with the 150's, were 150smk, @2.780. And the other, is a 150 NAB. @2.816, FED 210, using believe it or not, Hornady brass. The charge, is 44.5, of RL16. I also am using Lapua brass, but this load was using the Hornsdy brass. The smk, shot a .199 group, the NAB, shot .274.
The throat in my Bergara, is close, and every nosler bullet I've shot, seems to like to jump.
I'm stoked with the RL16. I have some awesome groups with the RL17. but am nervous about the fire cracking.
This rifle loves the cfe223, and the 120 bt. I also have a sub .5 group, with cfe, and 140 bt. This rifle has definitely turned the corner. Also need to mention, used a Lee, FCD , very likely. Hope you all are safe, and stay that way. And to all others here as well. Everyone take care.

Rick, iforgit that you had asked about the 145lrx. Dude, that is my favorite bullet in the seven mm world. I shot that bullet in my 7stw 's, it was a laser. Deer hated that bullet. My only concern, is at 7-08 velocities, will it work! My gut says yeah, and I may give it a whirl come deer season. I love the Barnes bullets, and I've figured out how to make them shoot.
My thought, cfe223, 120-140.
RL16, 145 and up. Mine also loves Varget, and 140ct. That group shoots into a .191
But the Varget is hard to find, I have have a pound on ice, from a dear friend, for Rainey days. But this thing loves RL16. And cfe223.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.