New To Reloading .308 Win

Reloaded my first batch of .308 WIN ammo using the following

178 Hornady A-max Seated .010 off Lands COAL:2.920
CCI BR-2 Primers
Remington Brass
Varget (43.5 grains)

Group @ 100 yards = .417"
@ 200 yards = .972"
Not overly impressive but good enough for what i want to do. Plan to shoot more groups at further distance in the future. Would Like to Be Sub-Moa out to 600 Yards :D

Any how my question is... using the load above out of a Remington 700 VTR what is my velocity (ballpark figure). I do not have a chronograph so i am unsure if this load is somewhere in the realms of what it needs to be. I would like to be somewhere around 2600 - 2700 fps but think this load might be too slow. Let me know what you think. Feel Free To Include Your Loading Data/Results Thanks

Any how my question is... using the load above out of a Remington 700 VTR what is my velocity (ballpark figure). I do not have a chronograph so i am unsure if this load is somewhere in the realms of what it needs to be. I would like to be somewhere around 2600 - 2700 fps but think this load might be too slow. Let me know what you think. Feel Free To Include Your Loading Data/Results Thanks

What I think is that you're too worried about velocity. Though I have a chronograph, I don't even check velocity during load workup. My number one criteria for a good load is accuracy.

With ballistics software, available free on huntingnut.com, you can get a ballpark estimate on velocity. What you do is sight your gun in at 100 yards or some other range, enter the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, elevation, temperature, etc. and then play around with velocity numbers until the trajectory about matches what you're getting.

I do not know the barrel length of your rifle and if you are too lazy to type it in then I am too lazy to look it up. However for a 28 inch barrel, your load should be about 2700 fps. Subtract about 20fps per inch of barrel. Add or subtract a couple of frog hairs depending on the lot of Varget.

I am betting you are in the 2600 ball park. Like was stated, dont worry about it. Accuracy is where it is at. While there is a big difference between 2600 and 3600 FPS, the difference between 2600 and 2700 is VERY small. I am pretty confident you will see less than 1 MOA at 600 yards with the 178 AMAX.

Dont be afraid to try RL15, and N540 with the 178. You may be able to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it with another powder albiet sub 1/2 MOA is hardly worth trying to impove for a hunting or match rig.

M

Max recomended for that round is 45grains compressed at 2.8" oal showing right at 2700fps from 24" barrel which I believe is what you have, can't remember, just know its a triangle! but coming out .120" and the charge you are using probably puts you closer to 2560-2580fps, 308s are usaully not finiky so bring your powder charges on up and I doubt it will hurt your accuracy. oh and what you said is sub .5 moa, thats pretty accurate.

What is important to me:
1. No signs of over pressure (sticky bolt, sticky extraction, punctured primers, blowed up gun)
2. Accuracy. If you are shooting sub .5 moa at 100 yards, step it out to 300-400 yards are really define your load. When you have excellent accuracy there, move back in to 100 and out to 500 and see what you are getting. 300 yards is a good range for OCW testing. (Optimal Charge Weight)
3. Good time at the range. This is MOST important, right next to coming home with the same number of appendages and holes in my body that I left home with.

I build my own DOPE for each load. Try to factor in temp, humidity, and wind (even direction of sun).

Just my .02. YMMV
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts