New to me caliber suggestions

midmo

As of now I have a .30-06 Remington 700. Its a great rifle but sometimes I feel like I am fighting a flinch. I am looking for another caliber that can accomplish the same things but with less recoil. ( I am not a very big person) In the future antelope, mule deer, and elk will be the targets of some hunts. I have thought about .270 win but I thought it would be close in recoil to the 06. I have thought about trying a s/a cartridge such as 7mm-08 or .260. with premium bullets I could still take bigger game from what I am told. Any suggestions what would a good caliber? I would like to keep my 06 but I might have to trade it off or sell it to fund a new rifle.

If you want to hunt Elk you need something on the larger side like what you have. I would suggest having a muzzle brake installed.

Excellent suggestion ...

This was my first thought also and maybe a Pachmayr recoil pad. My friend's 14 year old daughter has an 06 with this set up and never flinches and you'll save a pile of $$$ which can go toward a elk or muley hunt. Good luck

Muzzle brake would be an easy fix. You will possibly find the 270 feels like it kicks more. It seems to be a hard rap. Vs the push from an 06. Calibers that might fit the bill? 7mm-08 and 308 come to mind

IMO, the installation of a good muzzle brake on a 30-06 can be a greater reduction in felt recoil then stepping down to a 308, 270, or 7mm08, etc. The watch out with reducing cartridge power to reduce recoil is to not go too light in rifle weight. I once had a 6.5# 270 Featherweight Model 70 that was a miserable rifle to shoot.

I had been thinking upgrading the stock when I can scrape up the cash and it might help. I have been tuning a pod for the rifle and I think it is getting in my head because I haven't found many good loads yet. I have been looking at Grayboe stocks. I like the renegade which is just like a micmillan a5 but I don't know how it will handle in hunting situations. They have the outlander which is more of a classic hunting stock. They will both add a little weight which could help.

As of now I have a .30-06 Remington 700. Its a great rifle but sometimes I feel like I am fighting a flinch. I am looking for another caliber that can accomplish the same things but with less recoil. ( I am not a very big person) In the future antelope, mule deer, and elk will be the targets of some hunts. I have thought about .270 win but I thought it would be close in recoil to the 06. I have thought about trying a s/a cartridge such as 7mm-08 or .260. with premium bullets I could still take bigger game from what I am told. Any suggestions what would a good caliber? I would like to keep my 06 but I might have to trade it off or sell it to fund a new rifle.

I too am not a very big person. As others have noted, muzzle brake is one of the most effective recoil reduction system not to mention muzzle rise/jump ... being able to spot target on impact is priceless. I shot my .300 WM for a long time without a muzzle brake and luckily I did not develop any bad habits.

Not recoil sensitive but I started using muzzle brakes in 2003 and most of my rifles now sports some kind of muzzle device. There are lots of effective muzzle brakes out in the market today that can easily tame recoil to a more manageable level. All of my .300 WMs felt recoil is comparable to that of .243s.

[ame]https://youtu.be/5d_wwTYuWaI?t=53[/ame]

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.