Needed: Suggestions for new LRH article topics

i think physical preparation,up to the point of taking the shot, when to shoot and when not to based on 1's physical prowess, ie if i shoot that buck in draw at 1000 yards can i retrieve it in my condition, is this more fundamentally ethics( yes) probably. work out to get into shape both physically and mentally and success will come. i'd like to see a write up on something along these lines.

There is a lively interest in extreme BC bullets. Evaluate their performance for accuracy of claimed BC and their terminal performance at both velocity extremes.

Another topic is ways to keep the bullet protected during the rigor of the hunt while
not in the chamber.

Yet another, keeping gear protected and quiet during the stalk

And last, coping with the federal lands "Travel management program"

I'd like to see articles on using your Model 70, 700, 77Mkll etc. The rifles that the average family man uses or at least all I can afford. A $1100.00 scope would really be a prized optic, but I'll never own one. The best I can do is a Leupold 1 or ll. I reload to save money so I can shoot alot, but I'll never be able to afford a custom rifle and top of the line scope. I did pick up a 700 SPS Varmit in .308 and people keep telling me I have to get another stock for it, at a tune of $300-400. The custom stuff is great stuff but not all of us can afford it, so I personnally have to stick with just what I can afford stuff. I guess I've rambled on enough.

an article detailing all of the gear used on a backpack hunt and why, going over several brands ups and downs of each, also the strategies of a back pack hunt.

Last edited:
I noticed that there hasnt been much info reguarding temp, elevation, atmospheric preasure, humidity when shoot long distance. I use a Krestol metor to give me dope and this really helps.
I know it just isnt getting the distance and cranking in the turret for an accurate shot.
CNEBEAR

What about an article on the long range slug gun for big game? Most journals do not cover slug hunting let alone the "longe range" aspect of it.

Ive been lurking for a while now and decided to sign up when I saw this thread.
I would like to see an article on how lock time effects accuracy. Long lock time, mauser vs shorter lock time, remington 700. or whatever guns you want to add to the equation.

What about an article on the long range slug gun for big game? Most journals do not cover slug hunting let alone the "longe range" aspect of it.

We are fortunate to have an extremely experienced and capable guy who is writing a series on Long Range Slug Hunting.

Len, I am a member of a group of about 8 long range hunters in PA. From summer temps of 80 F to winter temps of 30, the scope settings change enough that a second chart is needed. When we travel to Colorado and elevation changes from 600 ft to 9000 ft, the bullet flight changes by 3+ MOA at 1000 yds, and 10 MOA at 1400 yds. These are repeatable results, period!
Suggestion for an article: What ballistic program(s) are EFFECTIVE for these types of changes, and if any use the G5(?) model, can a mathematically challenged shooter use the program to develop the G5 BC?
In PA, a test shot would be an effective way to check everything including the actual wind effect, but that would be a technical violation of the PA Game Commission's rule of no random target practice!

That is quite a challenge. I hope one of the ballistically smart guys chimes in here.

I would like to see more on the unusual cartridges like the 6.5/284 and other wildcat based types regarding reloading and their uses in hunting varmints and larger game animals also topics and input from hunters on what they think of the kit that they use when using cartridges that are not so run of the mill,some input on scopes knives and binoculars.

Len, I am a member of a group of about 8 long range hunters in PA. From summer temps of 80 F to winter temps of 30, the scope settings change enough that a second chart is needed. When we travel to Colorado and elevation changes from 600 ft to 9000 ft, the bullet flight changes by 3+ MOA at 1000 yds, and 10 MOA at 1400 yds. These are repeatable results, period!
Suggestion for an article: What ballistic program(s) are EFFECTIVE for these types of changes, and if any use the G5(?) model, can a mathematically challenged shooter use the program to develop the G5 BC?
In PA, a test shot would be an effective way to check everything including the actual wind effect, but that would be a technical violation of the PA Game Commission's rule of no random target practice!

I am/have used LoadBase 3.0, Exbal, and Field Firing Solutions (PPC field versions), All of which can all deal with your changing of locations and conditions without having to keep sighting in. Only LB3 at this time will help you determine your custom BC which can include G1-G7 drag models. It will also allow you to determine "your" BC and appropriate drag #'s for the combo your using. Be advised it's a lot of work, but info like that doesn't come easy.

Safety Reloading Practices.
Different causes of high pressures.
Fun homemade and or cheap targets.
Muzzle Break Choice Per Caliber

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.