New To Here/Project Thoughts for LR

jhuskey

Hi All,
I'm new here, first posting. Not new to shooting, comfortable at 1000 (300WM and 6.5-06)(my range near Opelika, Al is 375' ASL, 26-28" BP, no wind constant). I want to go further, like one mile and 2000 yards.
Jacob Bynum, Rifles Only, Kingsville, TX, is planning a 2000 yard match sometimes in Fall 2004.
The range at Kingsville is 78'ASL, 30" BP normal, wind speed constant 20 mph, gusts to 35 mph.
Caliber restrictions are 300WM, 190 grain bullet and up to .50's.

I have a couple of 300WM's that probably can get 1500 with just a little work. 210 Berger at 2900. Could I get further with this, I don't know. I don't believe the 26" 1-10 twist would push a 240 fast enough to be stable and hold at those ranges, but I DO NOT KNOW. Maybe some of you would?

With that in mind I started a post on Snipershide in which JB1000br got me to come here. (Thanks Jason)

I would like to build a man portable system that would be close to my work rifles, (Police Sniper) and would like to be able to use factory brass in the loadings. I would like to have a repeater, bolt action, versus a single shot.

General suggestions have been the 300RUM, 338RUM, and 338Lapua Magnum. No offense to the Weatherbys or fine wildcats out there. I am not a wildcatter. I'd like to hear from those of you that have those calibers and use them at extreme range, please. Loads, bullet selection, powders, etc, what to watch out for, barrel twists, lengths, and so on.

At this point, my options look at the Remington 700 RUM action, Accuracy International Chassis, using the Lapua Magnum magazines, a 28-30" Hart Max Heavy Varmit Barrel, Vais brake, (which I know will make it muzzle heavy, which I don't like. Would like to go as short as possible and still get performance.).
Would use pretty much a factory chamber rather than a match tight chamber (unless you guys know better.)
Scope would more than likely be a NXS 5.5-22-56 mil-dot on a 30 or 40 minute tapered base.

2nd Option would be using one of the two pre-64 model 70 magnum actions I have, (both long-300H&H types.), in a McMillan A-3 or A-5 stock. If I go this way, I'd still like to be able to magazine feed rounds.

So guys, I hope this is enough to get started on a reasonable path to a serious 2000 yard rifle. Can you help?

Thanks in Advance,
J.W. Huskey

Jhusky,
The 338 Lapua would be my first choice, Remmy action would be fine. AI chassis or A5, your choice. AI will hold more rounds, but mags are a little short for the best velocity with a 300gr MK. A5 will hold less rounds, but can load them out a little longer for better 300gr speed.
300 RUM would be second choice with 210- 240 gr bullets. AI or A5, both good to go.
Chris

Thanks Chris Sir, (wyowhisper suggested I speak directly with you on this rifle, likes your work.)

Mr. LeMay, Rusty sorta fell off the face of the earth. Several of us still shooting, but Rusty fell on very hard times, and moved away. Good pics you have here. I see you still are running good camera equipment.

The more ballistic programs I look at, the 338 with a 300 looks better and better, (gotta figure out barrel length/twist/best brake..) unless you look at Lost River Ballistic bullets, and do any of you have experience with them, beside they cost too much?

Thanks,
jw

Hey bill--good to see you here.

responses are not as numerous or speedy here as over at SH so be patient, good info will surely follow.

As far as the lost river bullets, dont bother--thats all im saying--those with hands on experience can elaborate as to why (do a search--you'll find out why)

you may want to post in the long range comp section too.

C'mon DC, help him out, Randy n VA, crow mag...

JB

Jason,
so far, we will do:
700RUM action. McMillan A-5 stock, heavy fill. 338 Lapua caliber, specific to 300 grain SMK bullets. NXS Scope...

Gotta decide which barrel, length, and twist wanting to push the 300SMK to 2850 +/-. And if there are better brakes than the Vais.

Which ballistic program, and what Palm PC for said program for field use.
Decisions, Decisions, and patience while waiting...
jw

JWH

First, welcome to the forum.

As per the 2900 FPS in the 300 Win Mag.

If you use the 210 Berger or the 210 JLK at 2900 FPS you will have at 2000 yards a velocity of 1089 FPS and 494 Foot Pounds of energy left.

To bad you don't have 30" or 34" barrel on that rifle.

As per the magazine, most 1000 yard and 1 mile shoots don't allow ammo in magazines to be used during the matches. You must load one at a time with nothing in the magazine.

For 2000 yard shooting, you may want to (someday) look at the 300 Gr Sierra MK 338 bullets in a large case.

Good luck aand the word is "Practice" at 2000 yards and see what happens with a stiff load and 210 bullets in your 300 WM.

Later
DC

jw--so you came around to my 338 lap and the 300's idea huh??
grin.gif
cool.gif

cant wait to see how it goes.

dont forget that muzzle break
wink.gif

dont know how much barrel is needed to get 2850, but prob 30in min.

a 28" may fo it but probably not without blowing your action.

JB

Jhuskey Thats to bad about Rusty. If you see him tell him hello from Rae and I. I've got a 338 Lapua on a rem 700 LA. Get 1 in the tub and 2 in the mag with the A4 stock. With badger base and rings and a Mark 4 16X you should be able to get to 1600 yds and 1800 yds with mill holdoffs if thats any help to you.

LeMay OUT

Jhuskey I've got some data on the 300 SMK on glass, cars, and light trucks. I can email you or you can call me on that. But the 388 Lapua has a lot of power for LE work. And you would need a very good backstop for its work in a hostage shootout.

LeMay OUT

Jim,
the 300 mentioned earlier with the 26" barrel was built specifically for a work barrier rifle, for 190 Fed GMM, and for when we go to the airport.
I'd be afraid to take the 338 for either, although there are a couple of agencies in the state that bought Barretts. (status symbol versus reality-jmho). Will eventually get the information from you though, Thanks.
jw

Jhusky,
Barrel length-28 or 30"
twist 1-10
Brake-Ops Inc
Get the 300 out to 2850 easily, Retumbo or Re 25. Use a Rock 5R cut rifled barrel, the tighter bore will get the extra FPS.
Chris

I, personally, have used my .338 Lapua Mag out to 1500yds successfully. If you are a police sniper, then you should be very familiar with the .338. It was issued to us for a short while that I was in the Marine Corps to test out and see how much of our abuse it could take. The M700 is a fine action for the .338 Lap and I use one myself. My bbl is a 34" Pac-Nor SuperMatch, action M700, Sako Extractor, blueprinted action, pillar bed job all set in a tactical stock. I have LOVED it thus far. I became addicted to the Rem actions in the Marines as our tactical weapons of choice (M40A1) was a Rem action and it was always faithful! Just my two cents.

Anybody here verify that there is absolutely no difference between Remington 700 actions, those chambered for 7mm/300 Winchester magnum and those chambered for 300RUM/338RUM?
Looking at one engraved 300RUM here in local store and one 300WM, I can't tell any difference between the two actions, and if they are the same, this simplifies my plans.
Thanks in advance,
jw

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.