NEW tactical MOA reticle

kgunz11

I have been working with Premier Reticles and a few other shooters on the design for a new reticle with a MOA scale for use in Leupold scopes. The conversion would be much like a GenII conversion where the scope is made first focal plane (can range at any distance). It would be covered by Premier warranty just as any other reticle conversion they provide. The new reticle would be simplistic in design and nature in that it would allow the shooter to accurately range a target and use hold overs in minute of angle. The scope turrets dial in MOA why not READ the scope in MOA?!?!

An example of the MOA scale for judging yardage:
A steel plate is 5" in diameter. You see that the steel plate takes up 1.5 MOA in the scope.
The formula is: target in inches x 100 / MOA read = distance.
5x100/1.5= yardage
500/1.5 = 333 yards
For example, my .308 needs 1.75 MOA to get to 200 yds. I would place the first hash mark (2MOA mark) at the bottom of the bull at 200 yds and never have to dial anything on my scope.
To be on at 300 yds, I need 4.50 MOA so I simply put the 4 MOA mark (second mark down from center) on top side of the bull and take the shot. You could still dial the dope if you wanted to, but this system would allow for engaging multiple targets without ever having to make an adjustment.

The windage is also marked in 2 MOA increments. You can look at the provided diagram to see how the reticle measures out. Would anyone be interested in getting this reticle in your Leupold scope? The cost would be $300.00 and again this would be making your scope a FFP instead of the SFP. FFP is preferred by most tactical shooters.

The drawing is not in perfect scale so bear with me.
MOAreticle5.jpg

MOAreticleFINAL.jpg

Would work great very simular to the NPR-2 reticule from Nightforce I like moa reticules

I don't like having the thickened area on the bottom portion of the vertical crosshair. I would want to use the reticle for LR varmints and I would worry that it would cover too much critter at longer ranges.

Rick

Leupolds are already overpriced for what they are. An extra 300 dollars for a reticle? I'd rather buy an R2, Better scope, better night integration with an NVD, better twilight utility. Those 1/2 MOA tick will become useless as you turn the power down in a FFP. Two minute spacing? I think I see a lawsuit coming.

Theres a few of us here in Europe leaning on Schmidt & Bender to offer something similar, we've also have lengthy discussions with Chris from Prem Ret about the same,
Miliradians is the sensible way to go for the most part, but with so many shooters ranging in yards working in MOA i think it would be a great step for any of the major optics companies (especialy S&B) to get thier hands from under thier asses and make the MOA ret.
Pete

I don't understand why the fine increments are not at the 6 o'clock location near the center instead of out at the edges - don't do anything for holdoffs out there. Also agree thta the finest crosshair thickness is needed down lower for long range precision - deer at 700 yards don't give much of a target, need fine x-hairs for accurate hold. Just my brain-farts.

I think it is a great idea. Infact, I was just talking to Lerch about this the other day. I would have to agree on the finer portion needing to be on the outside edges. Why not put marks inbetween for 1 MOA? Sorta like the TMR does for half mils.

Grizz,

A lawsuit? Nightvision? Come on man. It's good to offer advice and even critisism, but there is no need to be a horse's behind.

seems like a pretty good idea to me, on the TMR reticle i am a big fan of the small gap in the center of the cross hair
You also might think about making the heavy post on the outside hollow so that they can more easily be used as hold points.

I like your idea and I am looking forward to seeing it come to fruition. Some people feel the need to use negativity and sarcasm when they see a new idea, dont worry about them.

good luck
steve

Just my two cents. This gives you 1 MOA, 2 MOA and 10 MOA marks and fine lines and post outlines. Plus 10 MOA refernce marks. I think this would incorporate most of the original ideas with some of the suggestions and an extra one from me. (not exactly to scale either)

MOAreticle.JPG

But 2 cents is all it's worth.

Well with the bottom being narrow would be no problem. My initial idea involved having 1 MOA ticks for the first 5 but shooters with experience with such a ret said it was too busy so we added the 1 MOA marks on the bottom end. Talking to Premier today we dicussed keeping the bottom thin and taking it on to 40 MOA to allow you to get to 1000 yds with a .308 with ease by simply using a hold over. My stick wants 34 MOA roughly to get to 1000.

As for lawsuits... who is going to sue me? No one as of yet has a design patent on an MOA reticle and this design differs from the NP-R2 reticle in MANY aspects. A lawsuit would be a civil claim... what are they going to do, take my birthday away??? Sue me for what? Money I DON'T have? Now THAT's funny!

The prototype should be available for the SHOT show. I will post pics of the final ret in scale when the cad work is finished in the next day or so.

One of the changes made to the design was to leave the vertical line thin and let it continue down to 40 MOA. From 30-40 would have 1 MOA subtents and then at 40 MOA there would be an additional line that extends 10MOA to the right. This would give the shooter a 10 MOA by 10 MOA scale to use for ranging purposes.

For example a man that is 72" tall reads 8 MOA. The formula for ranging in MOA would be:
size of target x 100 / MOA read
72"x100=7200/8MOA = 900 yds

If he reads 14 MOA then 72x100=7200/14MOA = 514 yds

and if he has a total of 30 moa then 72x100=7200/30MOA = 240 yds

I personally think the formula is simple. Add 2 zero's to the size of the target and divide that by the MOA read and you have the yardage.
example 1 = 900 yds - my gun asks for 28 MOA for 900 yds. I can dial in the 28 MOA or just put the 28 MOA hash mark on the target and execute the shot.
example 2 = 514 yds - my gun wants 11 MOA for that range. I put the 10 MOA mark on top of the target and 12 MOA mark on the bottom and squeeze the trigger.
example 3 = 240 yds. My gun wants 2.6 MOA here. I put the 2 on top side of the target and 3 on the bottom side, centering my target between the 2 hash marks and make the shot. I have just ranged and engaged 3 targets and never dialed any elevation. I think the system is great!

moawithrangescale.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.