New Special Project, Opinions wanted

Black Diamond 408

Ok...i'm starting a new rifle project-series for Viersco Mfg, I want the shooters here to have some input. Its been on the drawing board for some time now and its time to get to it. I'm not going into the intricate details until its completed, i will post pics and results at that time. I will say this, it will be a takedown type rifle.

What caliber and bullet should i go with? It has to fit into a 308 magazine. I'm thinking 6mm cal or larger. The rifle will weigh in the 10-12# range, med weight barrel, 26" is the longest i want for this build. Purpose, long range targets, varmints...1000yd max range. Bullet and twist rate?

This should be interesting...

Thanks for any input.

Dave

6.5X284 or if your wanting a wildcat cartridge go with the 6.5X7MM WSM. Just my thoughts on what works at 1000 yds on varmints and the action length. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for your input BillR. I will put these on the list for consideration.

I should of mentioned the overall length can't exceed 2.820"
A special short throat reamer might be needed to achieve this seating length, depending on the bullet.

Dave

BD,

What size bolt face do you want. Sticking to a 308 bolt head gives you lots of versatility.

6.5x47 lapua or 6-6.5x47 Lapua seem to be hot at the moment. If that fire fades you could look to 260 Rem (assuming Black Hills continues production of match grade 260) 7-08 and of course 308 Win.

In the 6mm or 6.5mm cals look at 1 in 8" twist to keep the heavier pills stable.

You might add more versatility by offering a WSM replacement bolt - main potential problem is the mag may be too short for the longer VLD type boolets to work.

David.

Ditch the magaqzine and go with a single shot. If a person misses the first shot they need to stop and think a while anyway. For target and varmint shooting you haven't lost anything.

I would think a single shot would be easier to make accurate in a take down rifle. Of course your only two customers would be me and Roy. Everybody else likes a high cyclic rate of fire.

Yeah, what buffalobob said and,
What's wrong w/a 260?
But ya just gotta give consideration to something in 6.5 such as x284.

Sounds like an interesting project. Looking forward to your posts.

Ok the plot thickens...a single shot version is also in the works...it would simplify all things. With the single shot any caliber and any bullet seating can be delt with. Personally i might build a 338 Lapua, but that is another thought.

We are not limited to a std bolt face, short mags have been in the back of my mind.

This protype rifle will have some tactical applications, hence the magazine. I am looking into some other magazine options that may make it possible to use a longer cartridge or long bullet configuration.

More cartrige info has been added to my list.

Thanks

Dave

I would really like to see a production gun chambered for the 6br Norma with a fast twist barrel-say a 1-8". And a no turn neck spec'ed for Lapua brass.

Think of it. A 26" barrel would be plenty. Low noise, low recoil, greater range than the 308 with less barrel heat and super 1000 yard accuracy.

It would be a fitting compact little cartridge to go with a takedown rifle.

Just a thought.

6.5x47

130 Berger VLD, 123 Scenar, 142SMK can all be loaded completely in the neck at well under 2.800 OAL.

A fellow I know is getting over 2850 with a 142SMK and N540 in his...26" tube IIRC.

Kiff already has my reamer spec to allow the 142 to just seat in the neck, no-turn nk. if you want the print.

JB

Dave, I don't have it in email form...You need to call Kiff...the nice ladies that answer the phone will dig it up and send it to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There is one under my name: .294nk, and one under GA Precision (.293nk)...both were made from identical dummies that I sent to Kiff, but the freebore ended up being a little different for some reason...20-30thou diff (mine ended up a little shorter) IIRC.

Loaded rounds average .2903, and max around .2908 with fat berger 130's loaded, so 293-294nk should work equally well.

PT&G
541-826-5808

Also, dies are available from at least Redding and Forster if that helps. Forster just sent me some dies for a project and they have impressed me so far(appearance).

HTH,
JB

I have narrowed the caliber to 6.5mm

Cartridge short list so far:

6.5x47 Lapua
260 Rem

Shooting factory ammo is a plus.

I have named this new rifle the "Viersco Tactical"
"VTAC" for short. After the initial testing, it will be offered in .223 up to 308 win. Possibly the WSM calibers later on.

Takedown rifle, the buttstock will be removable, not the barrel. No loss in accuracy as the barrel is fixed. This system requires a special action design. Several different action types are being made for this project, 2 lug rem style, 2 and 3 lug WBY styles.

Dave

I´d vote for the 6,5 x 47.- lapua brass to use.And more appealing for new customers than a 260.

Vote for 3 lugged action, but not weath. style; three solid lugs whith their external diameter matching that of the bolt body, so that the lugs remain in the same plane as the whole bolt. very smooth and short bolt lift.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts