New Sightron SIII moa? and range finder ?

6.5x300

OK only have two questions as I have pretty much made up my mind on a new scope and two potential range finders.

1. 6-24x50 or 8-32x56 new Sightron SIII MOA 2 retical scope?

Anyone notice a difference in image quality between these two scopes at max power? doesn't have to be the new moa retical offered scope, any of the SIII for compare between the 24 and 36 top end would be great to hear opinions.

Mounting on 300wm and/or 338 edge. I know difference on total elv is 100 vs 70moa but that is only the difference of 200 yrds on my max range with 20 moa base and 20 moa retical hold over. By the time I get that far out, it is beyond my shooting capibilities so really is not a deal breaker.

2. Zeiss $600 range finder or Swarovski $1000?

I read the swaro will range further but again the Zeiss seems to do well up to 1400, again anything beyond 1k is farther then I need to be shooting at for big game at the moment. Think I may be leaning towards the zeiss with the reviews I've read and think I may be perfectly happy but I am also under teh impression teh swaro is top of the line. I woud only be buying the zeiss to save $400

Thanks and good shooting,

BT

I have a 6x24 and an 8x32 siii but with mildot reticles. I have noticed that the 8x32 looses some clarity from 24 to the 32 range. Harder to focus etc. not terrible but noticeable. Plus the loss of 30 moa of elevation going from 6x24 to 8x32 models. I love the ablility to have the 32 power but will probably go with the 6x24 moa model for my next scope.

As far as range finders go, have only used the Swaro and am pleased with it.

jsrn61

I have the Swaro and love it! I have used some of the other major brands, but this one is tops so far, for me that is!

Just my two cents.

Picked up the new sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA2 retical. Looks like a great scope!

Also got the Zeiss victory range finder to save a few bucks over the Swaro. So far it looks like a great range finder that will suit my every need. The glass in the thing was WOW.

Thanks

BT

Picked up the new sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA2 retical. Looks like a great scope!

That will be my next rifle scope, the Lord willing, my choice of range finders is the Swaro.

One may think that over 1000 yards is to far to be shooting at game but you'll be sorry your range finder doesn't cut it when you are training and getting ready for that special shot.

What I mean is I really enjoy to shoot over 1500 yards at rocks later in the afternoon when my Swaro would give me ranges up to 1800 yards + ---- As it cools down to observe the wind an measure the size of a rock using the scope... It's almost like having a cup of coffee and enjoying the afternoon! If a rock appears to be 1/2 MOA at 1500 yards I quickly know it'd be between 7.5 and 8" and it makes it fun!

Bottom line, get a range finder that you'll grow with instead of something that will hinder you. Then again buy the best you can afford.

Two weekends ago, I was at the range shooting to find a load for my 338-300 RUM using a new powder lot number. I had some ammo left and since I was getting pretty low ES in all my groups I put one through the chronograph and the second one went to a small rock at 1005 yards, the young man, someone I'm teaching to reload, that was spotting for me said you hit high! I said: How high he said: I don't know... I said look at the rock and tell me how many rocks high the impact was at. He said after a while, "One rock high" and the rock was just at .5 MOA now, I was happy. All this to say that it was sunny, hot, bright and many range finders would have not been capable of measuring that distance; I was happy I had the better range finder.

Sorry for the long explanation!

Last edited:
I got the S3 8-32x56 last summer for my 7mm. I only shot it a few times when the the internal gears on the turret knob somehow got out of alignment. I sent it back to the service center for repair, after 3 weeks with no word, I called Sightron to get the status on my scope, I was told that the damage was caused from the scope being hit with extreme force thus voiding the warranty. I informed the manager that I had never even bumped the scope, let alone subjected it to "Extreme force". Despite all this I was told very rudely that if I wanted my scope back I was going to have to pay for the repairs and that was that. If you want a product that may fail within a short time, and you don't mind being called a liar after spending $900. Then by all means buy a Sightron. But if you're like me and you value a company that will stand behind their products, buy elsewhere..

I got the S3 8-32x56 last summer for my 7mm. I only shot it a few times when the the internal gears on the turret knob somehow got out of alignment. I sent it back to the service center for repair, after 3 weeks with no word, I called Sightron to get the status on my scope, I was told that the damage was caused from the scope being hit with extreme force thus voiding the warranty. I informed the manager that I had never even bumped the scope, let alone subjected it to "Extreme force". Despite all this I was told very rudely that if I wanted my scope back I was going to have to pay for the repairs and that was that. If you want a product that may fail within a short time, and you don't mind being called a liar after spending $900. Then by all means buy a Sightron. But if you're like me and you value a company that will stand behind their products, buy elsewhere..

wow this is pretty much the only negative feedback i have ever heard about a sightron SIII series scope!
I have one on each of my rifles, they are all i used. All have performed flawlessly, good glass, great value, perfect reliable tracking. Never needed to use their customer service, as nothing has gone wrong with any of them.

Do you remember who you spoke with at Sightron? I would be interested in knowing.

Jon

I recently bought a SIII 6-24 MOA-2 and put it on my 300WM. I love the floating dot reticle. During a recent coyote hunt it was perfect on a dog at 800 yds, and a deer at 1800 yds I was watching. I did not shoot at either at that range (called the coyote closer as there was two). Previoulsy I had a Bushy 4.5-30 on this rifle and it was mounted on an AR for side by side comparison. The ONLY reason I am going away from the Bushnell is lack of internal travel. I have shot to 1200 yds with it, but want to try a mile.

I used an "opical test chart" I found online to compare the two scopes, plus a NF 3-15 on my work gun. The Bushnell is slightly brighter with slightly better resolution at all powers, though it is only really noticible at the higher end. I limited the Bushnell power to 24 to be apples for apples with the Sightron. With all three scopes on 15 power, the NF was obviously clearer. I tested the scopes at 50 yds in low light, and 450 yds on a hot day with high mirage. The Sightron was the worst at "cutting through" the mirage, the Bushy was mid, and NF the best. Now I know the NF is twice the money, but it is a known standard in optics and a good baseline.

All in all the Sightron is a great scope, I love the MOA-2 reticle with floating dot, the turrets, and power adjustment which is silky smooth. I wish the glass was at least as good as my Bushnell, but it is hard to have everything at this price point.

BTW, I use Bushnell 1600 binoculars and love them for glassing and range finding. Much better range finder than my Leica 1200.

Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.