new setup??

ant12hony

I wanna get into long range shooting (0-3000) but first I need a gun and scope!! right now im looking at a 25 06 in the remington 700 and proly a 3-15 scope or something!

I don't want to spend much over 1500 but I want to be able to upgrade things like trigger, stock, scope in a couple years with out buying a whole new setup!!

What's your main focus/purpose/goal for getting into LRH? Do you have prior experience? 3000 is a bold goal. Stuff starts getting weird on me past 750 yards...more details on what you're trying to achieve will aid in the advice we can give you.

Ya well I hunt whitetails n want to hunt coyotes and I want to do some long range target shooting so I need a gun that will shoot along ways but will not blow the coyotes to pieces as I will be saving the fur!! Yes and I know 3000 is along ways but I would love to be pretty good at a 1000!! Will probable have to by a different gun to shoot 3000!! Oh and I will not be hunting deer out to 1000 maybe 400 but coyotes I will try if I can get a good shot! I really hate to see wounded animals!!!

Ya well I hunt whitetails n want to hunt coyotes and I want to do some long range target shooting so I need a gun that will shoot along ways but will not blow the coyotes to pieces as I will be saving the fur!! Yes and I know 3000 is along ways but I would love to be pretty good at a 1000!! Will probable have to by a different gun to shoot 3000!! Oh and I will not be hunting deer out to 1000 maybe 400 but coyotes I will try if I can get a good shot! I really hate to see wounded animals!!!

Honestly...just to get started get a Remington 700 long range in one of the calibers they offer. Get a viper vortex HS in 4-16x44mm and boom you'll have a nice rig for under 1500. start testing multiple loads and try reloading, and practice, practice, practice from 50-500 yards. Once you can consistently hit a 6 inch plate at 500 yards (for me it's 10 shots with no misses) then you should be ready to go beyond 500.

I love the 25-06 and I wish that there were better options for high ballistic coefficients bullets for quarter bores...

Things to consider:
-Your target (which you've already stated).
-Recoil (makes a larger difference in target shooting than hunting).
-Factory ammo available? And how common?
-Maximum effective range (supersonic).
-Barrel life?
-Overlap with any rifles you already own?
-Reloading dies readily available?
-High BC bullets available?
-Weight of rifle? (Are you walking any distance into the woods?)

Everyone I know who owns a 25-06 though would never give it up, they love them. They have quite the following.

IMO the 6mm (.243), 6.5mm (.260), 7mm (.280), and 7.62 (.30) have the highest BC bullets available. Might be hard to find one gun to do everything you want without at least some level of compromise. Maybe a 6.5mm of some variant?

Also the farthest I've ever comfortably shot an animal is 200 yards so I can't help you with taking game past that. But shooting steel at a 1000 yards I can help all day every day!

I love the 25-06 and I wish that there were better options for high ballistic coefficients bullets for quarter bores...

Things to consider:
-Your target (which you've already stated).
-Recoil (makes a larger difference in target shooting than hunting).
-Factory ammo available? And how common?
-Maximum effective range (supersonic).
-Barrel life?
-Overlap with any rifles you already own?
-Reloading dies readily available?
-High BC bullets available?
-Weight of rifle? (Are you walking any distance into the woods?)

Everyone I know who owns a 25-06 though would never give it up, they love them. They have quite the following.

IMO the 6mm (.243), 6.5mm (.260), 7mm (.280), and 7.62 (.30) have the highest BC bullets available. Might be hard to find one gun to do everything you want without at least some level of compromise. Maybe a 6.5mm of some variant?

Ya I dont want a hard kicking rifle because I dont like hard kicks so I think the 25 06 is just right Oh and a 300 RUM would hurt me and a coyote about the same!!

Honestly...just to get started get a Remington 700 long range in one of the calibers they offer. Get a viper vortex HS in 4-16x44mm and boom you'll have a nice rig for under 1500. start testing multiple loads and try reloading, and practice, practice, practice from 50-500 yards. Once you can consistently hit a 6 inch plate at 500 yards (for me it's 10 shots with no misses) then you should be ready to go beyond 500.

Yep that's the gun I was looking at then a little while latter I can get a stock meant for shooting long ranges!! I wanted a mil. scope but maybe for beginners they aren't the best??

.25-06 will get you to 1K easily. If you don't reload, look for factory rounds with the 115 Berger HVLD or 110 Nosler Accubond.

Great for deer size game and down. I have taken two big mulies with mine at 160 yards and 488 yards. Took a coyote with my .250 Ackley (just a tad slower than a .25-06) at 1327 yards. I have taken prairie dogs out to 500+. Steel targets to 1371 yards.

Pros: Light recoil, good speed. Readily available factory ammo, and easy to hand load for.
Cons: High BC Bullet selection, barrel life if you hot rod it.

Too bad Berger won't release a 125 HVLD.

"Walk before you run". Shooting 1K and beyond is a lot more difficult than imagined. I would set goals and MASTER loads and techniques at much lesser distances. Then, move up a bit at a time.

My choice would be something in the 6.5 caliber. It has great ballistics and is inherently a very accurate caliber when loaded to suit your weapon. Plenty for medium sized game and can be loaded with light rounds for yotes.

Look at something in the Savage line such as the LRH series or the Model 10 Predator. Both are very capable of fitting your current and future needs.

Good luck and have fun on the Long Range journey. RR

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.