New Self Build

Jammer1

It is finally done! I just finished my new deer/coyote rifle in 260 Remington. I used to have a full custom M-70 in 300 WSM that I loved, but seldom had the time to shoot due to my new career. Having $5000 worth of rifle laying around unused rubbed me the wrong way so I ended up selling it. The career has advanced to the point where a little more time is available, but with the birth of my daughter and the wife staying home with the baby, this build was on a tight budget. For this build, I did all the work that I had the equipment & knowledge to do myself. The FN PBR-XP action was squared and a fluted medium Palma Bartlein barrel was installed by GA Precision.

For the stock I wanted a copy of the Marine Corps M40A1 or McMillan HTG stock in a laminate. Unfortunately, nobody makes such an animal. I ended up buying a pre-inletted target style stock that was oversized in all dimensions from Richards Microfit Stocks in their rosewood color. I ended up getting the Marksman model with an uncontoured butt and oversized grip section. Then ended up narrowing the forend with my table saw and removing everything that didnt look like an M40A1 with Dremel tool, rasps, and files. An ebony forend tip was added with the 45 degree mounting angle to give it a little of the classic look. The action was pillar bedded with one of Score High Gunsmithings excellent bedding kits (highly recommended, and excellent product for the price). The finish was Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil and topped it off with a Pachmyr Decelerator recoil pad.

The Barreled action and the Pacific Tool & Guage floorplate assembly was finished in Cerakote's graphite black. It was applied with an airbrush and cured in a curing oven of my own creation using 6 & 8" galvanized heating duct pieces, and some fiberglass insulation. A frame to hold it upright was constructed out of scraps from my luber pile and the heat source was a commonly available heat gun.

The whole works was reassembled with a new Timney trigger and allen head action screws. All in all, I am very happy with the results and a a trip to the range is in the works tomorrow for a few test groups. This barreled action shot below 0.5 MOA in a different B & C stock before the build so I know the capability is there.

P1060377.jpg

P1060381.jpg

wow, nice work man...beautiful rifle! put up some pics of your target once you get it all dialed in!

That looks superb!! Great rifle, great caliber, that'll be pleasure to use! Nice work!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.