New scope for .222 rem???

remingtonman_25_06

I am wanting to get a new scope for my .222 Rem. Its going to be used for mainly smaller game like squirrels and rabbits, and the occasional coyote. Right now it wears a VX3, 2.5-8. That scope works ok, but 8x is not my fancy anymore, and I also want target knobs on this rifle. I want a scope thats around 4-14, 4-16 with either a fine plex, or mil dot reticle and target knobs. I'm looking to spend around $300 on this scope. I've always been a leupold fan, but I"m not gonna be gettin the scope I want from leupold for $300. I looked through a couple catalogs and saw a couple I was interested in. I"ll list them here and I want to know what you all think. First is the Nikon buckmasters 4.5-14 w/ mil dot reticle. Scope seems nice for the price $290. I just would like to know if they have target knobs like leupold's or what?? Meaning you zero your scope for your load, then you have the allen wrench to loosen, then put the turret on "0"??? They kinda look low profile.. The second scope is the Weaver 4-16 fine crosshair. Its on sale for I think $300 at Natchez right now. I cant remember if this scope has target knobs or not, but I like the power, and reticle. THe other scope I was thinking about, but its on the very backburner is the Elite 3200 10x mil dot w/target knobs. I have never been a fan of fixed power scopes. I looked at Burris and didn't find anything that caught my eye. One other thing, I have never used the mil dot, it seems very complicated to me. However, I think I would like it once I learned how to use it. I am open to suggestions for any other scopes that you guys might think will work for me that I may have missed.

The Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is a very nice scope, but does not come with Target Turrets. The Weaver V16 is also a nice scope, but I give the advantage to the Buckmaster optically. The Weaver does not have target turrets either. If you would like to move up slightly in power, I would recommend looking at the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40. It does not come with a mil dot reticle, but does come with a Target Dot or the new BDC reticle. It is equipped with Target turrets and comes with a sunshade. Plus it is under your $300.00 range. Very nice scope for the money.

well i have a 3-9 bushnell 3200 and would not buy another. I believe that the nikons have a lot better glass, and if I were you I would go ahead and look more toward the nikons.

Also check ebay, and know you could get a good used leupold on there for around $300. I've gottn some great deals on scopes on there.

I have both a Weaver 4-16 w/ fine crosshair and a Bushnell 4200 4-16 w/ duplex reticle and both scopes have "mid" turrets. Meaning they are half the size of conventional turrets and are "0" adjustable w/ finger nut on the turret. I give the nod to the 4200 for optical clairity.

I"m still undecided. I think I just need to get to sportsmans and look at a couple. One guy says the weaver does not have turrets, one guy says they do??? I dont know, I just want my new scope to have resettable target turrets. I dont care if there normal height, or low profile. I think I need to look through the scope I'm gonna buy, I"m kinda picky. Just want to make sure there nice and bright, and crisp around the edges even when turned up to max power.

Hey their was guy that had two 4200 serries scope a 6-24 and a 8-32 for sale the other day , he wanted $350 for each
thats a hell of a deal for that grade of glass.
they were in the clasifideds at Go Go Varmint Go board

Jon- Ok, so they both have target turrets, but are low profile.? As long as there resettable to "0", I dont care if there shorter then normal, just as long as they do what I want them to. I"ve gotten many replies back on both the nikon and weaver, so I"m still undecided. I think I might run over to sportsmans today and check some out. I dont think they'll have any of the models I really want to look at though.

Yes they are the low profile. Both are resettable. Something to know, Weaver is discontinuing a few of there scopes and I know that the V16 Fine crosshair is one of them. I think they are discontinuing one other V16, but don't remember which one.

Jon- I went to sportsmans today and checked out the 4.5-14 nikon and the 4-16 weaver. Neither had what I would call "resettable" target knobs. There was not a spot on those dials that I saw where an allen head or hex wrench would go to loosen and put on "0". However, the 6-18 nikon had resettable knobs, but that scope is $350. For another $100, I can get a Leupold VX2, 6-18 and have much much better quality. I dont even know what I"m gonna do for a scope now. The weaver was brighter in my opinion, but I found out I didn't like that thin crosshair, its about as thin as a strand of hair. I might just see about getting another 6-18 leupold. I will have to throw in the extra difference though, but I guess thats what I'm gonna have to do because those other 2 scopes dont seem to have resettable target knobs. Thanks for the help Jon.

Hey Remman,
I'm pretty new here, and I feel your pain about what you want vs. what the pocketbook can handle. Do what I did about a year ago and call Lerch or BJ (I went to see them). These guys will hook you up. I got the Nikon 6-18 you were talking about waaayyy better deal than Sportsman's. Not quite Leupold, but I'm real happy with it for the money for a high power variable. My 300 WBy hasn't hurt it yet, ought to last a lifetime on a .222. \
Later
Nick

On the Weaver, there is a small knob on top of the turret that you can loosen and then move your turret to zero and tighten the screw back up. On the Nikon, there is a screw that with a regular screwdriver you can loosen and more the turret to zero than tighten the screw. So they both basically have a way to turn the turret to zero, but just not with an allen wrench.

Got the Buckmaster 4 -14 x 40 and will confirm that under the low profile caps lurk a fully resetable target turret. Excellent glass - really bright and clear - the tracking of the turrets seems to be dead on. Shot a box @ 200m and there was no perceptable difference in strike - the last group falling directly in with the first.

Excellent value for money - cannot recommend highly enough.

Rgds IanF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.