Looking for a scope for my new 7mm Rem Mag

Reedman

The past relevant threads I've found on this subject are all fairly old. I took delivery a week ago of a 7mm Rem MAG Winchester 70 (a big step-up from my 22.250), and am looking for a scope for hunting/target to 400+ yards. I am considering 5-25x56 in the Vortex Strike Eagle and Arken EP 5. I also purchased a used Bergara B14R Trainer a few years back that came with a Swampfox Patriot which I like, so I am also considering the Swampfox Warhawk. Does anyone have any thoughts on these three, or perhaps should I consider something else in the under $800 range? The major complaint I've seen regarding the Vortex is the weight, and the Arken/Swampfox weight in 8-9 oz more...

Thanks!

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Great timing as we are in the middle of our Dad's and Grads Sale - Now through June 19th Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks
This right here! Awesome people to deal with and very knowledgable. You will not get a better deal. Arken, Vortex, Athlon all great scopes in your price range. Call Doug!!!

Did you try advanced search? 100's of threads within last couple years covering A-Z on scopes. Low info on Swampfox specifically, so maybe someone can help you with that model. Tons of info on Arkens and Vortex Strike Eagles. Sounds like maybe you already eliminated Arken and Vortex due to the weight.

Thanks everyone thus far. Doing a search of old threads, I saw just one thread that was a few years back (maybe I was too narrow in my search, as it was specifically for a scope for a 7mm rem mag), and then they seemed to be 10+ years old. I assume that much has happened with scopes in that length of time. I'll give Doug a call. I've not eliminated anything yet, and while heavy, the Vortex is the lightest of the group I listed. A rifle/scope for this distance is completely new to me.

Searching for a scope for a specific caliber isn't particularly relevant. Ie. A scope for a 7 rem mag will also be just as practical for a 308, 300wm, 6.5cm, etc.

Instead, trying searching for a scope under the conditions/distances you plan to use it. From a bench at paper, rugged steep mountains at less than 300 yards, open plains out to 1000 yds, etc.

My quickest insight from what you provided, is I would not be happy with a 5x minimum magnification for hunting. I've hunted with a 4x and was unhappy when opportunities presented themselves at less than 100 yards. When I'm at the bench, too much magnification is impossible; in the field, too much magnification is a real problem (can't shoot what you can't find in the optic).

I'll agree with TucsonFX4 to a degree.
Too much power on the low end can lead to disappointment.

I typically hunt with 4-12 & 4-16 power scopes.
My "normal" hunting is either in the woods, or on gas/power lines.
Range on animals can be contact to 1,500 yards +.
Past 3 years my deer have been taken from 30 yards to about 70 yards.
4 years ago it was 413 yards.

Personally I like an MOA reticle.
Get sighted in and good velocity #s, range & hold the reticle.

The past relevant threads I've found on this subject are all fairly old. I took delivery a week ago of a 7mm Rem MAG Winchester 70 (a big step-up from my 22.250), and am looking for a scope for hunting/target to 400+ yards. I am considering 5-25x56 in the Vortex Strike Eagle and Arken EP 5. I also purchased a used Bergara B14R Trainer a few years back that came with a Swampfox Patriot which I like, so I am also considering the Swampfox Warhawk. Does anyone have any thoughts on these three, or perhaps should I consider something else in the under $800 range? The major complaint I've seen regarding the Vortex is the weight, and the Arken/Swampfox weight in 8-9 oz more...

Thanks!
Leupold and Vortex offer a mil/le/fr discount. Look at the Leupold twilight hunter scopes. for 1000 you could get the 3x15x44 Razor HLT. it's sfp but a very nice lightweight scope. I have one on a 7mag 8T remage I put together. The 3x18x44 SE is OK, but it's not the Razor HLT.

I *just* (sorta) did the same thing for my 7mm Rem mag as well! Next up is the RemAge conversion......

This morning i bought a PST Gen II 5-25 50mm FFP EBR-2C (MOA). Got it the local XXXXXX for $799 which i think is a pretty good deal.

I compared it to the Meopta Optika6 4-20 50mm at the store. I ever so slightly preferred the reticle on the Optika at lower magnification, but at even slightly higher magnification the PST's EBR-2C (MOA) reticle came into its own. I must say, despite being a wee bit busy, it is very good but experience will certainly tell all.

Otherwise, the glass in the PST had noticeably better acutance and resolution. I wasn't set up to specifically measure the PST's ability to resolve fine details (eg lp/mm), but for my use, i don't believe that's a metric I need to be too terribly concerned with. The color rendition was very nice on both - neither overly saturated nor 'cool'.

After I bought it I moved my car to a less-populated area in the parking lot and took a view of the US Air Force Academy here in Colorado Springs. All i can say is WOW!!! Admittedly, i had nearly ideal conditions..... With beautiful clear, blue skies and the sun at my back I was able to make out an exceptional level of detail and clarity of 'Old Glory' flapping in the wind on the main campus at the Academy (don't know how far it was, but certainly several miles). It was a challenge to hold the bare scope steady in my hands resting on the hood of my car, but regardless, I am thoroughly pleased with it.

Only time, crappy weather, and low light will provide the information for a final understanding of the scopes strengths and weaknesses, but i am quite hopeful.

After work and getting home, i put it on my rifle to see how well it sits, its heft (it is a bit hefty at 31oz), balance, etc. My set up is overall heavy especially when humping that brick up and down the mountains, but i'm excited to see how well it does - will DEFINITELY be upping/re-starting my fitness regimen!

Irregardless what you get, don't get too much scope. You need to be able to see/find game close and you said out to about 400 yds. You'll probably eventually go further but you don't need 25x to do it. Get a reticle that you like and works for you. You didn't say if you plan to dial the dope.