New Scope for .223 Rem

Scrumbag

Hi folks,

Got a CZ527 with a 22" barrel and a 1:9 twist.

Currently the scope on it is a 3-9x36 with a number 4 reticle. Great little scope but I'd like to do some more longer range 300m or more with it and also a little further on the foxes, rabbits and crows this summer.

What do you folks recommend?

thinking maybe 4-16x or similar? What rets?

ATB,

Scrummy

Some good choices under $1000:
Sightron SIII 6-24x with MOA reticle.
Vortex PST 6-24x

There is no downside and many upsides to getting a 6-24 over a 4-16x.
Buy once cry once, buy twice cry twice.

Some good choices under $1000:
Sightron SIII 6-24x with MOA reticle.
Vortex PST 6-24x

There is no downside and many upsides to getting a 6-24 over a 4-16x.
Buy once cry once, buy twice cry twice.

Perhaps a good point but I do value the lower bottom end for "walking in" with a hunting rifle but certainly something to consider

6x is pretty high for close and running shots. The leupold 3-18 might be a winner. Really depends on your budget and other criteria, but high magnification is not need to shoot far. It helps, but again, not a necessity.

DO you know if you want a ffp or sfp?

People have been surviving without FFP for decades, I don't think it is worth the money.

You are right, if all you do is hunt, the 4-16x will work just fine, but if you also shoot long distance paper, the extra power will be a must for the tightest groups possible. Only you can decide on what your highest priorities are and the money spent.

People have been surviving without FFP for decades, I don't think it is worth the money.

You are right, if all you do is hunt, the 4-16x will work just fine, but if you also shoot long distance paper, the extra power will be a must for the tightest groups possible. Only you can decide on what your highest priorities are and the money spent.

They've also survived for decades w/out scopes all together... point? I'd imagine most people on longrangehunting hunt more than paper.. just a hunch though.

You are correct and that is why I stated that the Op has to decide what his highest priorities are.
Personally, I would never ask other people what scope I should buy. I know what my priorities are and would buy a scope based on what I want and not what others think I should want.

You are correct and that is why I stated that the Op has to decide what his highest priorities are.
Personally, I would never ask other people what scope I should buy. I know what my priorities are and would buy a scope based on what I want and not what others think I should want.

Thats not what I read, but then again perception is subjective. All I took from the conversation was that you don't like FFP, good for you! Hey, I don't like windy days and I sure as hell don't like slip on shoes. See the relevance?

A lot of people do not have every scope at their dispose to handle and make a first hand decision. Some people rely on others opinions and then seek out the items of interest. But as I recall this thread isn't about you so please allow the op to find the help he seeks.

Op, there are a slew of details that need to be clarified.. focal plane, mil/moa, reticle, budget, tube diameter, illumination... the list goes on.

Keep it friendly please gents.

OK, Ideally I'd like first focal plane so I don't have to worry about what mag I'm on. Probably prefer a BDC ret to turrets but if Turrets prefer Mils as have a 6-24 Meopta with mills. Illuminated would be nice but not vital. I can't imagine I will shoot much beyond 300 yds with it but with rabbits and foxes the quarry some mag would be nice. 14-18 at top end probably enough. Budget, I'm going to be a pain here and say I like getting a lot for my money. Perhaps not Swaro money though...

B/c you want mills I think the best bang for your buck will probably be a SWFA. IDK if they offer a bdc but def a mildot and they have illuminated options. I don't have any of their scopes but I've yet to read a negative review.

Check out swfa.com

If those are too rich for your blood research primary arms, again no first hand exp but the few guys here that have them are pleased. I may put one of these on my AR.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts