<$200 scope for .223?

Hersh5317

I'm not happy with my SII duplex reticle. The tube is damaged so I can't even sell it to offset a new scope. I want a minimum top power of 16x, AO or SF, and some type of reticle with quick hold-over reference points. I don't want above 18x, however, because of much smaller exit pupil. I've been looking at the Hawke Varmint 4-16 with 1/2 mil (at 10x) reticle for $189. I'm thinking for daylight varmints the glass will be up for it, and a heavy .223 shouldn't rock it too hard with recoil. It recoils just enough that I barely miss seeing the impact with the Sightron at 16x. Opinions for similarly priced and featured scopes needed as there are many (and many are pure junk). I've had VX3's and know I'm not going to get the same optic quality, I just was useable.

I had a BSA sweet 17 when I first bought my 17 hmr and I was extremely pleased with it for 100 bucks, they have a 223 version for 100 bucks too that would maybe fit your requirements. It doesn't have a BDC reticle but it had generic turrets that would probably work just fine until you're able to upgrade.

The Vortex Crossfire 4-16X50 is also on sale at SWFA for 120 bucks and is probably worth every penny and then some at that price but it also lacks BDC reticle.

Any Burris scope with the ballistic plex would fit your requirements and you can get the Fullfield II 3-9x for around $200.

I have a Sweet 17 taking up space in the garage because it didn't track consistantly enough for me. That is one of the reasons for scopes in this price range I like bdc reticles, though I am no fan of the circle types. The less movement the longer they should last. The Fullfield II is a solid scope, but the top end is a 12x and is beyond my budget. I have one in 3-9 that has lasted through .308, .30-30, 44 RM and 357 levers, as well as various rimfires and a 22 Hornet. I currently have it mounted on a WMR. I like it, but at 200 and beyond I feel a little need to ramp up the power on smaller game.

Any of the similarly priced mil-dot scopes worth a shot? I have looked at the Crossfire II 4-12 (not the power, but price and bdc), Tasco and Bushnell mil-dots, skipped Barska and BSA from consideration for past experiences. I have a Crossfire II 16x ordered for a 7mm-08 build, so the scope funds aren't there anymore. Weaver have anything worthy in this price range? Oh, forgot about Mueller.

I would contact sightron! They would probably fix your damaged tube and or replace it with a new scope. They are really good with warranty issues.

On another note, the nikons designed for the .223 seem pretty interesting!

Best of luck!

I've called them already. They will check the innards and not touch the tube. I couldn't get a straight answer about what would happen if it was compromised. If it is in spec, they'll just send it back-no repair. It holds zero, but I haven't done the box or checked for full range of movement. The dents in the tube are from previous owner trying to shim INSIDE the rings. Total idiot move and why I got it for $25. Still want a different reticle though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.