Best Scope for 100-200 Treestand Hunts.

I've used 2-7 Burris on a Savage Stryker our to them ranges power was fine just had to play with eye relief with handgun scope. Any scope would work great it depends on how well you want to look them over. Just don't forget your in a tree stand, long story. I personally like 12 thru 16 powers. I don't think you need large objective lenses if it's quality glass. I'm not a fan of anything over 44, but have some 50's they just seem blocky for no gain.

Why not a bow? Why not a spear? Why hunt at all when humanely slaughtered and professionally butchered meat can be bought at Wal Mart for $5/lb? Why not just sit back, take the dole, and not work for a living while you're at it?

Since he asked about a scope. Leupold VX3-HD 3.5-10x30 with the FireDot. Only reason I don't say the 2.5-8 is because that only comes in a standard duplex. You don't want too much magnification to limit field of view that close in.
I have and had higher powder scopes. I went back to 2 x 8 Leupold scopes a long time ago. I use higher power scopes when shooting Smaller Varmint and at longer ranges. Duplex works just fine too. I also use the Duplex as a range finder at the same time. I have 3 x 10 x 50mm Leupold scopes too, and I felt the field of view is to small at times. When putting the rifle into action. I shoot out to and easy 500 yard with the 2 x 8. I gave away a 6 x 20 Leupold that I used for deer hunting. Overall view was to small even at the lowest powder to pick up deer size animal in the 30 to 100 range in the brush. I can determine the range out to 500 yards with that 2 x 8 duplex without putting up a range finder. I know where to hold the duplex on a deer size animal at any give yardage out 500yds. Quick and simple.

Some sort of LPVO 1-6 or 1-10 sounds like it would be ideal for that type or scenario / ranges. Depending on your budget, Vortex Strike Eagle and the way up through the Razor 1-6 or 1-10.Leupold had quit a few LPVO optics available as well at several different price points

Last edited:
Why not a bow? Why not a spear? Why hunt at all when humanely slaughtered and professionally butchered meat can be bought at Wal Mart for $5/lb? Why not just sit back, take the dole, and not work for a living while you're at it?

Since he asked about a scope. Leupold VX3-HD 3.5-10x30 with the FireDot. Only reason I don't say the 2.5-8 is because that only comes in a standard duplex. You don't want too much magnification to limit field of view that close in.
Wow....a lot of common sense good information here. You convinced me to quit work and go on welfare...oops...not quite...I live in Alberta and meat in Walmart is 9.00/ lb....guess I'd better go buy a scope instead! Brilliant rebuttal! I would have chosen the spear...but double rotator cuff surgeries prevent this..... lmao!

Duplex works just fine too. I also use the Duplex as a range finder at the same time.
I agree about duplex reticles, and all of my standard hunting rifles use them. The FireDot is a duplex with an illuminated center dot,. Since it's offered and he specified liking Leupold, I wouldn't pay the premium for the glass without that upgrade, since mainly it boosts low light performance of the reticle to match with the better glass.

He's shouldn't need any holds as close as he is, especially if If he uses an MPBR zero. Very conservatively a smaller cartridge like a 6.5CM or 308 can hold zero to 250 yards, and anything faster like a 300 WM can hold zero to 300+. No holds, no dial, just point and shoot.

1/3 of American Hunters Hunt with Bow ,Spear, and Rifle I've seen hunter take down game with a Knife. Most hunters hunt to feed there family because they can't afford the price at the butchers. and on ethics they make sure they have a clean shot with a good back stop or they dont take the shot at all . Just Like are Grandfather and Dad trained us to do. and for 100-200 yard shots a good burris will do.

VXii 2x7, best hunting scope out there in my opinion
Ha! Same scope I use in northern MN and on a .308 no less. The 7X helps if you want to look at antlers but I keep it at 2X. I shoot a deer or two there every year and haven't shot one past 125 yards in over 20 years. Last time was 20 yards. Longest in the past 15 years was 75.

Not sure what kind of stand you are using, but I think it is equally important to keep the rifle short and light. A shorter barrel creates less of an arc when you swing it; you certainly don't need anything long if your shots are <300. I like a light rifle because I often bungee my climber stand to my frame backpack, which contains a -30 deg sleeping bag, a heavy parka, etc. Pulling up everything can be chore. A lighter, short bbl rifle is easier to haul into the stand.

OP.... if you are still looking....

What is your budget?

What is it going on?

Still hunt or stand?

Do you need illumination?

Do want adjustable parallax?

Do you prefer to zoom in or keep a wide field of view?

Are you after low light capabilities?