New savage action?

Pretty intrigued by these... they look very close to the Heym SR30 which uses the same lockup mechanism.

I'd bet there will he only one action length, and would make a pretty cool switch barrel rig. Especially if they're priced similarly to the rest of their rifles!

I'm too fond of and familiar with standard bolt actions to really ever want anything else (same applies regarding semi autos, pumps, even levers...I just like bolt guns, that's the way it is)

this looks tremendously interesting though. And I'm not surprised it's savage that's first to this game among North American manufacturers. They're first to a lot of things that fancier outfits then go on to imitate. Gun snobs then invariably praise the knockoffs and bash the original for being cheap and ugly and, well, savage.

im friends with a number of such gun snobs and don't have a problem with them liking nice things.

I've also gotten a lot of them pretty irritated over the years when they with their tikkas, remingtons, brownings, and Sakos were not able to do what I did with my cheap ugly savages. Not gonna lie there's smug satisfaction in outshooting someone who likes to talk about how much they spent on their set up.

Of course it could be that I'm a better shot on occasion, but not than all of the time. I'm giving the gun the glory.

love savage arms.

Definitely looks interesting, have to look into it once it becomes available, might be worth getting one.

I wouldn't hesitate buying this rifle if it fit my needs, the ball locking mechanism is sound technology that's been around for decades. I own several Savage rifles with the accu-fit stocks and they have been great for getting my kids into shooting and having a rifle that grows with them.

Explain???

Balls in helmispherical indents are strong

In rounded channel are 90% as strong

Helped renovate 100 ton stamping

STILL WAITING TO HEAR WHAT POINTS I AM WRONG???? ABOUT???
Quick change tooling in manufacturing all benefitted by ball lock, air operated fixtures. However, it locates the the tooling in X & Y axis' only. Not Z.
100 tons in Z is taken straight thru the upper/lower dies, the quick change structure and the machine/press base. Those ball locks are just going along for the ride.
Rifle actions have a safety margin built in, but not even necessary for the pressure you mentioned. Stuff a case full of powder and plug the barrel and one might generate 80 or 90Kpsi
and the case fails and gas spews out the action vents or at worst the barrel chamber ruptures and blows out sideways.

This new Savage action and the few others that currently use this system are interesting and the others are field proven. Not knocking them. Just in "show me" mode now. I want to see gun writers tests, parts teardown, explanations.
Always appreciate innovation, working in aero my whole career.
Savage took a bold step.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.