Savage action question

trickytune

Hey I currently have a 260 rem short action. I have a spare 243 barrel to fit this rifle. And I am looking at buying a 223 rem. Is the action the same from 223 to 260? Can you screw on a 243 barrel and fit the 260 bolt and make it a 243? Does the detachable mag between the 2 interchange? Just trying to keep my options open. Basically I wish to be able to make either rifle a 243. I'm guessing they wouldn't make it that easy.

Hey I currently have a 260 rem short action. I have a spare 243 barrel to fit this rifle. And I am looking at buying a 223 rem. Is the action the same from 223 to 260? Can you screw on a 243 barrel and fit the 260 bolt and make it a 243? Does the detachable mag between the 2 interchange? Just trying to keep my options open. Basically I wish to be able to make either rifle a 243. I'm guessing they wouldn't make it that easy.

action is the same but you would need a different bolt or bolt head to go to .223.

.260 and .243 same bolt

this might help you

Bolt face diameter and calibers - for easy barrel swaps | The Outdoors Trader

mags are the same dimensions but the follower will be different for different calibers. most .308 based cartridges can use the same mag. 223 is definitely different

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I can buy a 223 rem Savage with detachable magazine and a 308/243 detachable mag to suit. Then screw on my 243 or 260 barrel, 260 bolt and the mag to suit and it will now be a 243 or 260?? Then change it back to a 223 easily?
I can't be that easy surely.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I can buy a 223 rem Savage with detachable magazine and a 308/243 detachable mag to suit. Then screw on my 243 or 260 barrel, 260 bolt and the mag to suit and it will now be a 243 or 260?? Then change it back to a 223 easily?
I can't be that easy surely.

Yep

Different bolts or bolt head and mags and you are in business

Of.course you will need an action wrench and barrel nut wrench and a set of.go/no go gauges for each caliber

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.