New rifle

I don't think the 308 is ever a bad choice, as long as you are up for the added recoil...

For a real bargain basement price yet with excellent quality, the Stevens 200 is available in 308. It could benefit from an upgraded stock, but it is light and accurate just the way it comes from the factory. The Stevens is a great action to build on, but it already comes in 308 caliber and doesn't need anything done to it, as it's likely to be a great shooter right out-of-the-box.

The Stevens line is identical to the Savage line-up pre-accutrigger...same action and barrel; the parts interchange, and the same quality of manufacture. I've seen them go out the door brand new for less than $300...half of what a Model 11 costs, and the M11 could still use a better stock.

I personally prefer the Stevens over the Axis, so for about $260 you can either fill-up your gas tank or buy a new rifle!

TC
I like the Stevens 200 as well, currently doing a .260 build on one, will have $700-$750 in it less optics, thats with a Criterion stainless hand lapped barrel, Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and a self tuned Savage 3 screw trigger, assembled and bedded myself.

If you are interested in Savage, lots of good info over at savageshooters.com

Its my understanding the new Axis rifles do not share parts compatability with the other Savage rifles, the Stevens 200 interchanges all parts with Savage.

That is more my idea of a build. I just think that there is so much available for the 308, that it would be easiest to play with, until I get more tech savvy. I was thinking of some of the same things. A 308 either a Savage or, a Stevens, but more than likely a Savage with the accutriger, then a aftermarket heavy barrel, 4x12x? scope, and bipod. Love the Savage Axis rifle. I do though miss my old Rem 700 in 243. What is the best twist for a sporter length 308 barrel?

1/10" will stabilize just about every bullet that will fit in a 308 case...it's also the stock Savage factory twist.

TC

I have put the conundrum of barrel twist for .308 through my head numerous times. The fact of the matter is that the .308 shines with bullet weights of 110-185ish grain bullets. I have played with 200-210 grain bullets, but nothing serious yet. I have been told to use 200SGK for my hunting bullet due to its tendency to open at slower velocities. With all this said, a 1:12 will handle all the bullet weights used by the .308. It will do it with less pressure caused by a tighter twist. This will result in better velocities. Just some food for thought. When I started I was convinced 1:10 was the only way to go for a .308, but maturity and doing a lot of shooting has proved that theory otherwise. Though if you do plan to shoot the heavier bullets a lot (190-210), then the 1:10 should be a consideration. I have chosen to stick with 155-175 grain bullets and might play with 185 Bergers or 208 A-max for deer season. Both bullets will stabilize in my rifle.

Tank

I agree. But, I can enjoy my 300RUM on the occasional eastern whitetail hunt, and still have one of the finest .30 caliber rifles at my disposal. Sort of a" cake and eat it too" philosophy. Really no more ridiculous than a switch barrel T.C. Acurate,manageable lower level ammo for little critters. My handloads for everything else. Real world 1,000yd performance and flexible as the good old 30/06. Just trying to give the orriginal poster the option of tapping into that longrange potential when needed,and scaled down performance when it isn't. Philosophicaly speaking.:)

Stop trying to keep me from justifying another rifle build to myself.:D

Reduced loads are fine, as long as you use the rifle to it's potetial sometimes. I am a "one/two load per rifle, and own a lot of purpose specific rifles" guy.

I don't know if anyone has thought of this and I'm not trying to be rude. How are you gonna get the elk out with all those older injuries if you shoot it that far? Or is that why you have two kids? haha. I was just asking because you can spend all that money for a new long range gun but an elk is one heck of a creature to pack out even with no injuries.

Thanks for all of the input. Was watching the military channel last night. It was amazing how many of the top 10 combat rifles were chambereed in 30-06 and 308/7.62. The 308 is deffinatly a proven cartridge. Wish I could buy my old M249 saw. That would be fun to use on coyotes and groundhogs. I am difinatly buying a Savage. I'm wondering what happened to Remington. Not what they used to be. Guess their heads got too big. The quality isn't there anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.