New Rifle

tmvikings

All set to get a new hunting rifle and scope. I was dead set on the 6.5prc but then I started looking at other possibilities like the 280ai, and now I can't decide. 1st world problems right. Just looking for a flat shooting round that can be used in a lightweight rifle, and kill everything from antelope to elk.
Thanks for your input!

I have been shooting the 6.5-06 for years. Same velocity as the PRC except brass is significantly less expensive. Living here in Colorado I hunt elk regularly & have no problem taking them using the Barne's mono bullets. Way back when I was younger I used larger cal's with heavier bullets , but have found that the 6.5's take elk cleanly. Shooting the Barnes 120gr TSX/TTSX on my range to a max of 522yds , no problem. I drive the 120 TSX to 3277 out of my 24" 1/8 twist Bbl. using IMR-4350 powder. Very reasonable recoil & definitely flat shooting.

The 6.5PRC Voo-Doo will become the who do that you do so well. It is a pleasure to shoot and with a 140 Partition it provides the thump-a-bility of a much larger gun. Load from the giant selection of 130s and get deer and antelope performance second to none. Stuff in some 107 Match Kings for rock chucks and badgers and of course the full range of match bullets for ringing steel. It can be done very well from a short action if you are truly building a hunting rifle. Plus, there is still a chance you will be the first on your block to get one. I have run several loads with several bullet weights over the Magneto Speed now and the performance has easily met and exceeded what I has expecting from what Hornaday had published. Really hard to go wrong with either though, the 280ai is also a gem.

All set to get a new hunting rifle and scope. I was dead set on the 6.5prc but then I started looking at other possibilities like the 280ai, and now I can't decide. 1st world problems right. Just looking for a flat shooting round that can be used in a lightweight rifle, and kill everything from antelope to elk.
Thanks for your input!
I went back and forth on this - ended up with a PRC and have been happy. I had wanted a 6.5x284 forever and since the PRC was essentially that with good factory ammo, i leaned that way. i think I could have been equally happy with the 280AI tho. I think it really depends on how much bullet weight matters to you. A 180 at 2900 is pretty awesome - you arent going to come close to that energy with a PRC.

Assuming you reload I would go the 6.5 PRC loaded with 156 Berger will be hard to beat. No game will know the difference between a 168vld in you 280AI or the 156 in your PRC.
Having had a couple 280AI in Cooper and Kimber they shot well just didn't care much for the caliber having a lot of different 6.5 calibers I prefer the 6.5s. My 6.5 Sherman witch is like a necked down 280AI was awesome.
For factory rifle and Ammo I would still go 6.5 that's my preference though and I've shot a lot of elk and moose with a 6.5.
I recently built a 338SS just cause I thought I needed heavier bullets turns out I just needed a new toy and I'm now getting my switch barrel in a 6.5 PRC. Go figure !!!
Both are great look at all your ammo choices decide what's best for your needs and buy what suits your needs.

I am a big proponent of the 6.5 PRC or 6.5x284 for deer and pronghorn but not for elk. I personally prefer a 30 cal for elk but of the two choices 280AI with 180s hands down.

I just bought a 6.5 PRC about 6 weeks ago. Previous to that I used a 6.5 CM, 6.5-284, 7mm Mag and 28 N. I do not own a 280AI so cannot comment on that cartridge. I have to say that so far I'm loving the 6.5 PRC. More thump than the CM and factory ammo is available. Less kick than the 7's and factory ammo is available. My 28 is throated for 195's so handloading is my only option. I just took a Coues buck at 630 yards and the PRC worked like a charm. That was with factory ammo.
So all kidding aside, having ammo available on a store shelf was a big factor in my decision process. I handload but in a pinch, I can buy a box and rezero my scope of needed. The 143 ELDX has been working for me for the last 2 years. Either cartridge will work for you. I would lean towards the PRC. I think it will be around for a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.