New Rifle. Utterly horrific chamber...UPDATED 4/19/20

I feel for you but I think the overwhelming sentiment was to cut your losses and polish or ream the chamber yourself and avoid all the delay and drama. Somebody here said in another thread "why would you send it back to the people who screwed it up the first time ?"
At the time I thought it was a stupid thing to say but it seems better to handle it yourself and take a loss and learn a lesson. No way I was going to send 3 guns back to Remington for a trigger replacement with an 8 month backlog. Drop $100 on a Timney, problem solved.
BTW Savage barrels look like they ran a tap down them but somehow mine manage to shoot very well. I'm not sure what the bullet looks like or how much of it was left in the barrel when it gets there but it seems to work. I generally buy used Savage 110, 111, 116's used for $300-$400 from GB and rebarrel/build off those, hard to go wrong. Sorry Savage screwed you, what route will you take next time with XXX brand(obviously not Savage) ? And thanks for posting the whole story also !
thumbnail (92).jpg

My solution was simple. Buy sako rifles or plan on doing work to them.

had several issues with savage. Had a couple issues with Remington. I've never had a problem With a sako. Well except that I shoot them too much and burn the throats out

Last edited:
If you live near me I will fix it for you for free.
Shep
X2. Shoot me a PM if you're in southern middle TN. I can fix what they didn't and I've got 1400 yards in my backyard to stretch it's legs a bit

Wow, I really appreciate the offers! Unfortunately, I'm up in the Pac NW, so I can't take you up on it.

For those that mentioned "cut your losses", I'm of the opinion that someone needs to hold the manufacturers accountable in some manner. Otherwise, they can just sell more garbage and get away with it.

I didn't win the war, but at the very least, I made them bleed in several battles. They spent at least $250 in shipping, and turned two "NIB" valued rifles into "Refurbished" valued rifles. Who knows how much they spent in man power. Those numbers end up on the bottom line somewhere, and if enough folks bleed them, perhaps they'll think to themselves "If we spend more on QC, maybe we'll save money in CS".

Really no excuse for poor manufacturing. Even worse QC. Takes literally a minute to polish the chamber after reaming. And that's 2 different grits. What's it cost them 10 cents.
Shep

Wow, I really appreciate the offers! Unfortunately, I'm up in the Pac NW, so I can't take you up on it.

For those that mentioned "cut your losses", I'm of the opinion that someone needs to hold the manufacturers accountable in some manner. Otherwise, they can just sell more garbage and get away with it.

I didn't win the war, but at the very least, I made them bleed in several battles. They spent at least $250 in shipping, and turned two "NIB" valued rifles into "Refurbished" valued rifles. Who knows how much they spent in man power. Those numbers end up on the bottom line somewhere, and if enough folks bleed them, perhaps they'll think to themselves "If we spend more on QC, maybe we'll save money in CS".

I guess, I'm still having a hard time seeing where this is Savages problem.

Unless it doesn't shoot acceptable.

The first one with bur in the chamber was taken care of, which it should have been, but I think you are expecting single point cut rifled barrels chambered my hand. This is just not going to happen. Savage has a reputation for making a accurate rifle, not for their fit and finish.

Because s chamber should be smooth inside maybe. Doesn't matter if you cut it by hand or not it still needs to be sanded to be smooth. Savage should have done this step. There really is no excuse for a rough chamber or one that leaves rings on your brass.
Shep

I guess, I'm still having a hard time seeing where this is Savages problem.

Unless it doesn't shoot acceptable.

The first one with bur in the chamber was taken care of, which it should have been, but I think you are expecting single point cut rifled barrels chambered my hand. This is just not going to happen. Savage has a reputation for making a accurate rifle, not for their fit and finish.
I haven't had a chance to find out if it shoots good. I fired a few rounds and had horrific (rifle 1) to occassionally sticky (rifle 3) extractions. That is because the rifles were defective. In the handful of groups I did shoot, the rifle was not MOA.

I'll update if Rifle 3, upon return with "polished chamber" suddenly hammers them home.

Because s chamber should be smooth inside maybe. Doesn't matter if you cut it by hand or not it still needs to be sanded to be smooth. Savage should have done this step. There really is no excuse for a rough chamber or one that leaves rings on your brass.
Shep

I concur.

I've owned and/or reloaded for perhaps 20 rifles and 20 handguns. None of those leave marks on the brass like any of these 3 rifles, sent from customer service one after another.

Well, except for a bad Rossi M92 in 454 Casull. That one cuts the brass in half on the second firing. The 1st firing tells you right where it's gonna separate on the 2nd firing...I was told Rossi CS was so bad, as to not bother addressing it...Irony?

I haven't had a chance to find out if it shoots good. I fired a few rounds and had horrific (rifle 1) to occassionally sticky (rifle 3) extractions. That is because the rifles were defective. In the handful of groups I did shoot, the rifle was not MOA.

I'll update if Rifle 3, upon return with "polished chamber" suddenly hammers them home.

I concur.

I've owned and/or reloaded for perhaps 20 rifles and 20 handguns. None of those leave marks on the brass like any of these 3 rifles, sent from customer service one after another.

Well, except for a bad Rossi M92 in 454 Casull. That one cuts the brass in half on the second firing. The 1st firing tells you right where it's gonna separate on the 2nd firing...I was told Rossi CS was so bad, as to not bother addressing it...Irony?

Amen!

I've owned a few each of Rem 700s, Win 70s, Abolts, CZ 550s. Milsurp rifles, AR15s, M1As, heck 4-5 AK47 platforms...none have had such a rough chamber as my Savage 110 HC. This is a Savage problem 100%.

I even cut open a couple cases with a dremel to ensure the rings on the case head weren't case head separation!

Cutting a proper chamber is really important to the function of the rifle. A chamber left rough or with rings is not proper. Savage needs to look into how they are getting these bad Chambers. Probably a bean counter said if you skip sanding and polishing it would save 10 cents per rifle x whatever number and said see I saved the company money. But bad press is not worth the savings. More people need to complain to them. Polishing a chamber is just basic gunsmithing 101. It sucks they are not checking this more closely.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.