new rifle day!

Bigeclipse

I know this is a long range hunting forum but I just got to shoot my new CZ455 American rifle in 22LR and cant say enough about how impressed I am with this rifle!!! The stock is very nice (one negative it has a plastic recoil pad but is no big deal). The bolt is smooth (not the smoothest ive felt but still nice and im sure will get even smoother with time). The trigger is outstanding. Nice crisp 2lb pull (measured). I bought a trigger spring kit to lesson the pull ahead of time but there really is no need. I have about 150 rounds through it. I have shot it with several different brands of bulk ammo and more expensive match type ammo and everything I feed it groups 1inch or less at 100 yards (these are 5 round groups) It is by far my most accurate 22lr rifle to date out of the box. Federal bulk is grouping at .75 inches consistently and with Wolf Match im getting between .4-.6in groups pretty consistently. This rifle was purchased for squirrel hunting and other smaller game. It is such a nice rifle I actually will feel bad the first time I get a scratch on it in the woods haha. just wanted to share my experience with how impressed I am with this rifle out of the box.

P.S. I am not using high end glass nor extreme power...I am using a 3-9x32 Simmons 22 mag 50$ scope. With a better scope maybe the groups could be even better?

Your experience is pretty consistent with what I have seen and experienced from CZ .22 rifles. It is possible to outperform a CZ, but you will have to step up to an Anschutz at triple the price.

I don't think your post is out of place at all. Having a 22 caliber rifle to practice with, and to have fun plinking with is a very valuable tool to work on your long range shooting.I put together a Ruger 10/22 Target rifle with a BSA 6-24x44 scope back in 2011,and was having a great time practicing with it.It was very satisfying using the mildot scope to ring the steel at 300 yds.

After the Panic in 2013,I decided to cut back drastically on shooting up the 22LR ammo I had stocked up with,and have not been shooting the 10/22 much at all.Now that 22LR ammo is available again at realistic prices,I need to take the 10/22 out and start practicing with it,along with my hunting rifles.As a substitute,I have been shooting my 5.56 AR to warm up before grabbing my 30 caliber rifles to practice with.

I love my Ruger 96/22 WMR lever gun with its new Green Mountain octagonal barrel.

It's a miniature Savage 99 in lever and action design. And, yes, I have a .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.

I'm with ya on the CZ. Bought my first one used on a whim. Since have bought several others. A full stock, 2 compacts for my boys first rifles, and A 17HMR that is also a tack driver. The ones with the set triggers are great. A couple of mine didn't have that feature and had to be worked but after that they are fantastic rifles.

I have also enjoyed my CZ 455. It is definetly one of the best shooting .22 Rimfires that I've owned. I currently have the .17 HMR barrel installed for the first time and it shoots good as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.