New Rifle concerns

Sure sounds like the scope mounting screws need to be re-torqued. That might not be all the problem, but I'd start there.
And look at your scope to see if it has moved forward in the rings due to recoil and poorly fitting rings. The NF scope I have mounted on my CA 300 Wm was doing that. After several instances of the scope moving, and the reticle possible rotating, I solved the problem by buying and installing Nightforce scope rings. (I should have bought them at the outset!!)

One of my good friends picked up a mpr in 6.5 prc last year and had a very similar experience. We tried everything I know to try and the rifle just wouldnt shoot, we would find a load that would work for a short period then it would open up again. He finally ended up selling it at a significant loss just to rid himself of the rifle. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't trust an isolated event.

The lead sled has always worked well for me during load development. I don't typically use any weight with it to tame the rifle's recoil, but I do like how it takes the human element out of the equation. Once you have found your load and the rifle is grouping as it should, then get off the sled and onto sand bags or a bipod and learn to shoot well with both.

As a general rule, If I have a decent rifle shooting 2-3 MOA groups, I tend to look first at the barrel and load. With 6 MOA groups , I tend to look at the scope and mounts first. You say everything appears tight, but you can't check the base when the scope is sitting in the rings. Nightforce is a great scope, but even they can have a problem. After checking all your screws/mounts - remount the scope and try it again. If the groups are still 6 MOA, then find a buddy with a 34mm scope body and swap out the scopes. This will quickly tell you if the scope was your problem.

After the scope/mount has been removed from the equation, start looking at the barrel & stock. Check the bedding, look for signs of tooling in both the crown and throat area. Snug down the action to specs. Take a closer look at your brass for addl. clues. Finally, try different ammo.

The final point I would make is not to spend too much time and ammo on trying to find a solution. Your frustration level will rise and barrel life will diminish. Plus you will spend a lot of dollars. Look for the obvious culprits that don't cost much to research. If groups don't improve, send it back to manufacturer and have them look at it.

I still have the original lead sled and never had a problem with it. It is not for everybody but I particularly like it during load development and barrel break-in. During barrel break-in, I can transition from shooting to cleaning with ease. The only thing I don't like about the sled is that I never get the right check weld and cradle. As you noted, once load development is done, I transition to my actual field shooting position (prone with bipod) and refine the load/make necessary adjustments.

I too use factory ammo for barrel break-in but I never look for any accuracy after 40+ through since I am going to reload specifically for a certain bullet for the rifle anyways. The ability to tailor loads for the rifle is the primary advantage of reloading. However, sometimes you get lucky and find factory ammo that a rifle likes, even the cheap ones. Lot batch numbers can also make a big difference. For instance, I was using ...

6.5 CM deer season XP.jpg

Below are 200-yard groups with different lot numbers ...

1 of 2 6.5 CM.jpg

(5-shot group at 200 yards off TCA Compass)

2 of 2 6.5 CM.jpg

(3-shot group at 200 yards off TCA Compass)

Wow! Really appreciate all the input. I have checked crown, scope mount/rings and made sure everything was torqued properly. Even had a friend that is a gunsmith look it over. Got some Hornady 140gr match and going to shoot if off bags. Hoping to get out later this week. I will report back. Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

I have a different take on this. well a bit different. I agree with the the different ammo, some of Winchester's PP's and most all Remington's ammo does not shoot well in much of anything.
My suggestion is bring a new scope setup out to the range with you and swap the scopes if you do not get sub 1" groups with match ammo. erratic ammo is a huge possibility. a bad scope is also a possibility. with Nightforce the possibility goes way down. as one guy said, check the barrel channel for high points or trash in the barrel channel that will accentuate the harmonics of the barrel and make you gun shoot lousy. as a last thought, check the barrel with a magnifying glass for cracks. its a really slim possibility but I have seen a few carbon fiber barrels get bent and cracked in transit.
remember this: start out with a bare metal clean of your barrel and keep it as clean as you can for the first 100 to 150 rounds.. some barrels just do not break in as fast as others.

Wow! Really appreciate all the input. I have checked crown, scope mount/rings and made sure everything was torqued properly. Even had a friend that is a gunsmith look it over. Got some Hornady 140gr match and going to shoot if off bags. Hoping to get out later this week. I will report back. Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

If it won't group the ELD-M, there's got to be something wrong with the scope or the rifle. If you've confirmed all the mounting screws are torqued to specs, and the ELDM loads don't group, swap a known good scope on it. If still bad groups, send it to the manufacturer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.