New rangefinder

FlGunner

In the market for a new rangefinder....considering going with the Gunwerks G7 or maybe the Sig Kilo with the applied ballistics tech. Is there any of you guys got much experience with these or a different one that you'd recommend. I've seen a lot of tv push for the G7 but never used anything like that. Any insight is welcomed.

there is a lengthy topic on the sig here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sig-kilo-2400-applied-ballistics-178180/

it sounds like some G7 users are migrating to the sig for various reasons. i have never personally used the G7, but have a sig 2400 and have been quite pleased thus far. i believe that Andy Backus also did a pretty thorough review on it with very positive results. (i am trying to find that article as well)

I havnt messed with many rangefinders. A couple buddies have had some of the lower distance ones that only go to 400-1000 yards. I jumped straight into a Kilo 2000, and I definitely recomend the Kilo. I wasn't aware they came out with a 2400, im not sure of the difference. But the 2000 has been consistent and accurate out to 1700 yards for me, and I've got a reading out to 2400 yards on a cedar tree one time, though it took a while to get te reading. But you can count on an easy 1000-1200 yards in ANY condition on animals. For the price, it's awesome.

Kyle

Thanks. Yeah my main use will be for range time and hunting. The bushnell I have only reaches out to about 600 consistently with a advertised max of 800. It's been good for what it is. Just time for something better.

Thanks. Yeah my main use will be for range time and hunting. The bushnell I have only reaches out to about 600 consistently with a advertised max of 800. It's been good for what it is. Just time for something better.

No way I'd spend the money on a G7 these days. They were incredible when they came out but these days you can do the same for less $$. I'm considering the Kilo 2400 just to have everything in one package and a little more range; but I'm having trouble justifying the cost. Currently, I'm using the original Kilo 2000 that I picked up about a year ago for $300 and the WeatherFlow weather meter along with several ballistic apps in my phone. It's very convenient and I'm able to use several apps, including StrelokPro, at one time if I want to. All told, for $420 I've got everything the G7 and a Kestrel can do. I sold my Kestrel. Lol. I hear the new Kilo 2200 has a little more rsnge than my unit and a more narrow beam. That's pretty cool. It I haven't had any trouble ranging whitetail and hogs out to about 850yds and steel targets out to 1100 - that's as far as I've tried it.

Lots of folks who invested in G7's and Kestrels will advocate them but in reality you're just paying for the name - you can get exactly the same results/functionality at a much lower price point. You might not get to hang out at the 'cool bench' at the range but your targets down range will be just as small as theirs. If you've got the money for a G7, get the Kilo 2400 and use the money you save for ammo or something else you want or need, like a WeatherFlow meter for wind speed and direction.

If you're going to be shooting ELR, maybe a Terrapin is worth it; but I don't shoot far enough to justify the expense.

JMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.