New press opinions

The rock chucker is a really good piece that will last. I have a few of them 😁
The Lee O press is good too but I think I made mine mad when I broke it into 😂 so I got rock chuckers
As a new re loader. I am starting to feel I made a poor choice in my purchase of the Lyman All American t-8 turret press. I do wish I would have inquired on here before purchasing. It's not that the press is bad, IMO. (But then my experience with a press is very limited.) I just don't hear anyone on hear recommending it. The only issue I have with it was the primer tube being bent due to packaging & shipping. But I do priming off the press so it was no big deal. I have also read the bushing may need to be replaced after some considerable usage. Other than that I have read nothing bad. I am not big on the orange color.

As a new re loader. I am starting to feel I made a poor choice in my purchase of the Lyman All American t-8 turret press. I do wish I would have inquired on here before purchasing. It's not that the press is bad, IMO. (But then my experience with a press is very limited.) I just don't hear anyone on hear recommending it. The only issue I have with it was the primer tube being bent due to packaging & shipping. But I do priming off the press so it was no big deal. I have also read the bushing may need to be replaced after some considerable usage. Other than that I have read nothing bad. I am not big on the orange color.

I think that it's probably a pretty good press…..likely far better than the one I bought in the early '70's!

I loaded thousands handgun rounds and quite a few .308 Win.'s and .375 H&H's on it…..before I replaced it in the late '80's!

The old one did exhibit a bit of "head flex"….but I was still able to produce rifle loads that could pretty repeatedly give sub 1" 5 shot, 100 yard groups! memtb

So between the rock chucker and rebel, there is less than $12. Decisions decisions.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 34
So between the rock chucker and rebel, there is less than $12. Decisions decisions.
I have both, rebel is super stout, no camover with no priming feature. Really heavy duty built, it's ideal for big magnums. Rockchucker does a fine job with my 338 lapua stuff, has primer set up and cams over. I think I'd still pick the rebel personally though, just because I like how robust it is, and I prime with hand primer.

I have never owned a turret press of any kind.
I had a friend that swore by them and would crank out piles of ammo and we never really shot targets to see who was better until one day he was challenging me, I was a little reluctant since he shot all the time, way more bullets down range than me.
When the shooting started he was hitting the targets all over the place and mine were in small tight groups.
Same thing happened with the rifles.
About a year later he asked me to help him with a 270 that blew apart at the range.
I started with his ammo by measuring each one and pulling them down to weigh the powder.
What I found was his powder charges were all over the place and the bullets were seated all different.
I would rather be slow and have ammo that's as exact as possible.

I have never owned a turret press of any kind.
I had a friend that swore by them and would crank out piles of ammo and we never really shot targets to see who was better until one day he was challenging me, I was a little reluctant since he shot all the time, way more bullets down range than me.
When the shooting started he was hitting the targets all over the place and mine were in small tight groups.
Same thing happened with the rifles.
About a year later he asked me to help him with a 270 that blew apart at the range.
I started with his ammo by measuring each one and pulling them down to weigh the powder.
What I found was his powder charges were all over the place and the bullets were seated all different.
I would rather be slow and have ammo that's as exact as possible.

The man had some issues…..but, they weren't with the press! memtb

I cranked out 25yrs of ammo on the Lee 4 hole turret press. I struggled in the first years with consistency due to the no hard stop, no cam over, just had to feel the right spot in the the downward force of the handle. I got pretty good with knowing my machine. I recently taught a couple young lads how to hand load. They were producing inconsistent ammo with it. SO, I says its about time to upgrade!

I wanted to try a cam over press, so the end of the handle movement was consistent. I bought the RCBS Summit. Spent 3 months in bliss making some very consistent ammo. The Summit press takes up nothing on the bench, it has such a small footprint. I sized 500 pieces of 308 brass into 708 brass and the toggle broke. Oh, why didn't I resort to my Lee 4 hole turret? Because I sold the thing! DOH!

I scrambled and bought an RCBS Rebel press. It showed up and the press handle on the downstroke was at my ankles. Shins actually. So, I bought the 4" Inline Fabrications micro mount to raise it up a bit. Daggum is that mount the ticket! It fits the Rebel and Summit press!

Ok, back to the Summit. Told RCBS about the broken toggle. They sent a new one and a bolt upgrade kit. It appears the bolt upgrade kit took a lot of slop out the press. Time will tell if this is the fix. Plan B is a $24 crossbolt pin upgrade a guy sells on the forums that looks promising.

The Rebel press is a sweet, beefy, piece of kit! I love the hard stop when bullet seating. I am .0005 accurate with my seating depths now. I sized for the first time tonight with the Rebel. It hard stops balls on consistency. It isn't technically a hard stop on sizing, but it's solid.

Two is one, one is none: (If the Summit doesn't break, I like it the best)
IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg