New Pistol for Home Defense???

tsmiller4

I am looking at getting a new pistol for Concealed Carry and home defense. I am looking at Glocks and the Walther P-99. The walther is only avail. in .40SW and 9mm. However the glock is also available in the .45 ACP. I think the 9mm or .40SW would be plenty but what about if I needed bear protection out west, or would an auto not even be the best option for out there. Also I am going to be handloading for this so any imput on the ease of handloading for each of them would be great!

Thanks,

300rumshooter

Michael,
I guess my Glock 22C (40 S&W) is the exception because it is a great shooter and is totally reliable. My 9mm Glock is also a great shooter, although not as accurate as tuned or custom 1911 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have heard good things about the springfield's myself.

Out west there are two kinds of bears. Big hungry ones and really, really big hungry ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glock would be my choice in any of the caliburs that you are looking at. Glocks are accurate, and if you want to shoot one before buying one, come on down to Carrollton KY and I will let you shoot one of mine. I have a .357 Sig, .45ACP, and a 9MM all glocks. You can find a real good deal on them at KY Imports in Lousiville KY.

RidgeRooster

I've owned all these guns in all calibers except for the SA XD. A few custom 1911's also. The gun I carry to work here in Detroit, and out west elk hunting is a Walther P99. In my opinion, its as fine as you will get. You can spend hundreds or even thousands more, and if your lucky, it might actually be a "little" better. But with my Walther, my cell phone, and a good pair of running shoes, I will always make it home for dinner.

I have shot a few XD's, and have been impressed with them also, but I do not own one......yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Unless your in Alaska, if the gun on your hip isn't good enough, there's a high powered rifle in your hands.

SS

I have owned several hand guns , some I would not trust my life to. I now own only three hand guns 1 is a wheelgun in 454 casull The next is a single six and the most important one is the Glock 45 model 21. It is a big gripped gun and it is accurate. My brother in law owns a couple race gus that are more accurate and I have owned one bretta elite that was more accurate. This is all that has out shot my glock. That I have owned or have had experiance with.
When it comes to your life you must ask yourself
will this gun work??
will the gun work if I fall down and get it muddy???
will it work if I haven't cleaned it????
How many gagets does this gun have that may render it usless?????
Will the gun sease up when expesed to the elimates???
Will this gun save my life???
Glock will work in the most crappy conditions in the world believe me I know I have worked this gun so hard it isn't even funny. I have been in swanps for days with the gun submerged for hours and it still ran fine. It has seen a lot worse than that. It has never failed to fire EVER.

There are some very accurate guns out there sig and 1911 customs etc. But the glock will alway work.

RH

WEll excluding the bear part, I would have to say that the 1911 variants are about the easiest to work with. Not saying the Glocks and others aren't good, just haven't had that much dealings with them. If your worried about the bears, you need a much bigger caliber.

THere are a ton of loads and components are cheap enough that the 45 ACP is really a great choice. The Speer Gold Dot is one of the best all around bullets I have found. They expand redily and penetrate well enough to get the job done. They come in a couple of weights both loaded and for handloading. For factory ammo the Hydro-Shock or Gold Dot are tops for self defense. With most bullets it will definately stop most who are determined to do you bodily harm.

It is like the old 30-30, not much flash and fanfare, but reliable for what it was designed for, since it came to be. When I feel the need to bring something extra along on a road trip, this is the one we count on.

As for handloading, all are fairly easily loaded, and come with a huge variety of components. I have loaded for all you mention and all shot well. I guess for me it was just a personal preference in that the 45 has been well used and proven to be a stopper.

.40 over 9mm, definitely. Cousin is a cop, and he tells stories of training videos where perps are hit with multiple multiple 9mm rounds before they drop. Like 13 in one case. .40 is a much harder hitting round, and that's what they all use now, and he swears by the Glock after using it. He said he hated them before he started using them, but now he'd never carry anything else.

As far as reliability, the Glock is pretty much the king of that. the abuse those things take is absolutely nuts. Break down easy, and did I mention that they take an amazing amount of abuse? I personally can't stand the grip on the Glock, so I'm trying a Walther P99 .40 right now. On paper it's a Glock with a better grip, but we'll see how the reality plays out. If it doesn't tickle me pink, I'll go Glock and just get used to the stack of legos feeling.

I have owned and carried a G23 for the last 4 or 5 years. I have not had a single stoppage of any kind in thousands of rounds of varying types of ammo. It shoots wonderfully too. I'd recommend a Glock for home/self defense to anyone that has basic gun handling capability.

First off the caliber debate will rage on for ever as to which one is the best "man stopper" basicaly it like hunting guns 99% of the stopping power boils down to the correct BULLET choice. A 380 auto will stop a man very fast if the proper bullet is used , a 44 mag won't if the improper bullet is used. The 9mm got a bad rap strait out of the gait due to crappy bullets being fired , yes you can shoot a man 13 times with a 9mm and he won't fall if your shooting ball ammo , shoot him once in the chest with a 115gr Cor-Bon and its "slow walking and soft music" from their on out , he is gonna die very fast and probably drop in just a couple seconds. No practical self defense rounds produce enough energy to knock a man off his feet generaly about 500 foot pounds in the top of the scale and 400-450 is average , a typical 15 yr old boy can ppunch that hard !! so the whole "Knocked him off his feet" thing is BS I have seen a few guys shot and killed with hand gun rounds 1 9mm , 2 40s&w and one 45 acp all men sucked up several rounds before they fell , all stopped what they were doing instantly. In each case good ammo was used.

As for the gun choice thats gonna biol down more to what FITS you properly rather than whats the best , my personal carry gun is a Glock 21 its a big fat frame and I added a slip on Houge grip because I got a big paw , had the 40 cal or 9mm fit my had better I would have chosen one of them instead !! I have shot the New Springfield XD and its a great shooting reliable gun but I don't care for it just don't feel right , I have seen to many Sigs and Rugers malfunction to often and I refuse to cary one as a defense gun , same goes for the dozens of 1911's I've shot and I own 3 they are great shooting guns but they will malfunction as they have dozens of time so they won't be riding with me either. I have over 40,000 rounds through my Glock 21 and it has only malfunctioned 2 times and this was with one box of Blaser ammo where th cases actualy split and when we cronoed them they were shooting a 230gr bullet at over 1000 fps !!! I carry 200gr Cor-Bon's in it in the winter and 185gr Cor-Bon's in the summer these are both +P rounds , this particular gun now wears a new Wilson Combat barrel and the spring and guide rod were changed years ago with a kit from Wolff.
When I got my wifes gun I got it used (Glock 23) I swapped the barrel out to the 357 Sig , she shot both and liked the recoil of the Sig better so thats what she carries also loaded with Corbon ammo.

So in my oppinion , go to a GOOD gun shop and see if they will let you fire a few guns and see what fits your hands best , if none are available talk to a few of your local LE guys and see if they will let you shoot their guns.
after being through a couple small CQB shcools and tons of range sessions I protect mine and my families life with a Glock.
(and a Rem 870 taced out and a custom M4) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

S&W 340PD, 357 mag. WINCHESTER Silver Tips. Make life simple. No failure to feed, No worry about magazine springs going bad from loaded and left to long. No hammer to catch on anything. No safety to worry about. So light, loaded you forget you got it on. Last but not least, the wife likes her's also. K.I.S.S.!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.