Home defense ?? ***robberies***

Well, I live in the middle of nowhere and I can see any stranger coming in daylight.

I just let it be known around town that I'm half nuts (a true statment btw), have lots of firepower and a short fuse.

The only people that come to the door are UPS delivery drivers and Jehova Witness people, neither know I'm legally insane..........

Don't mind the Jehova's. All the gals ar pretty lassees I might add.....:)

Everyone else around here knows not to visit, including the meth junkies........:D

"short fuse and legally insane" That sounds like me.:D

I have thought about getting a sign warning ALL theives will be SHOT ON SITE!! but they are so bold that I believe it would be an open invitation to steel my guns. (A few miles away they broke into a police officers home)

Someone also told me that the sign might not be a good idea if I ever had to shoot and end up in court . We have a rule in my state that says if you feel threatened even if they are outside of your house you have the right to protect yourself and shoot if you have no other choice.
Tha bad thing is we have one police officer assigned to our area by the time he is called they are long gone.
They broke into a Baptists preachers house on a Sunday morning he had ADT security protection but by the time the police got there they had hit the road with the goods. They are definately staking out these homes.
I think I will install some motion lights for the back of my property and some hidden cameras .

My wife home schools my youngest 4 year old so my wife and kids are here all the time. On one hand that may be good but on the other hand it could be very bad. I have showed my wife how to use the 45 and believe you me ,you dont want to be looking at the firing end of a scared mother with a .45 AUTO in her hands ! It would be a quick way too meet Jesus......

I'm curious - how would cameras work against you?

It seems that more criminals are positively identified by cameras than by fingerprints or DNA. Cameras placed in conspicuous places would be a strong deterrent and the dopes who fail to see them usually end up on the evening news. LOL

Evidence against you in a court of law! Unfortunately, some people don't sympathize with the 2nd Amendment. I'm sure a jury of your peers would love to see the video of a shooting where something you did may have been questionable in their eyes, but you knowing what was done, was the right thing. Even more so, if your state is a "Duty to Retreat" state. Knowing you have to make all reasonable efforts to exit your home, before you do what's necessary! I'll take my chances with no video and any identification can be made at a later time.

"short fuse and legally insane" That sounds like me.:D

I have thought about getting a sign warning ALL theives will be SHOT ON SITE!! but they are so bold that I believe it would be an open invitation to steel my guns. (A few miles away they broke into a police officers home)

Someone also told me that the sign might not be a good idea if I ever had to shoot and end up in court .

All sorts of things can come back to haunt later. Admitting you are insane, even though in jest, and completing the ATR 4473 form stating otherwise would be argued as perjury. Stating that you have an intent to shoot on site would then be added to the above to further build a case against you that you fully intended to kill that poor young man who was just breaking into your home because he was looking for food for one of his infant daughters. Prosecutors do lie and commit misconduct on occasion. I could have provided you a link to a forum post on another site unrelated to firearms where

Evidence against you in a court of law! Unfortunately, some people don't sympathize with the 2nd Amendment. I'm sure a jury of your peers would love to see the video of a shooting where something you did may have been questionable in their eyes, but you knowing what was done, was the right thing. Even more so, if your state is a "Duty to Retreat" state. Knowing you have to make all reasonable efforts to exit your home, before you do what's necessary! I'll take my chances with no video and any identification can be made at a later time.
Yup. We know how the media did not fully disclose the 911 call of that guy in Florida.

All sorts of things can come back to haunt later. Admitting you are insane, even though in jest, and completing the ATR 4473 form stating otherwise would be argued as perjury. Stating that you have an intent to shoot on site would then be added to the above to further build a case against you that you fully intended to kill that poor young man who was just breaking into your home because he was looking for food for one of his infant daughters. Prosecutors do lie and commit misconduct on occasion. I could have provided you a link to a forum post on another site unrelated to firearms where

Yup. We know how the media did not fully disclose the 911 call of that guy in Florida.

The problem is this , their is no way in knowing if the poor young man would harm ones family and that is why the home owner would be forced to shoot ! I would hate to have to shoot but I will protect my family at all cost !

The problem is this , their is no way in knowing if the poor young man would harm ones family and that is why the home owner would be forced to shoot ! I would hate to have to shoot but I will protect my family at all cost !

Actually the problem is there is know way to know he won't. Many years of legal rulings misguidedly placing knowing what an intruder "intends", on the person who chooses to fight, instead of flight, need to be placed on the criminal that chose to play offense. You should not be able to kick in a door claim no harm no foul. A recent case here that didn't make headline news. Rural road, 3am, couple awakes to noise, he goes to the kids, he goes to the door being kicked, armed. He challenges the door kicker, "they jumped me I need help". Go to the road I'll call 911, door kicking continues. I have a gun pointed at you, door kicking continues. Turns on the rail mounted flashlight which causes the meth head to run around front. Man moves to the front of the house shines the light again, and creep goes to his knees with his hands up "ok you got me I'm not resisting" evidently he'd been through this drill before-gun mounted light caused him to believe the police we're on scene. At this point a van with more creeps pulls up he jumps in, and they pass the sherriffs coming down the road, and were ultimately caught in minutes. Good 911 time for that part of the county (no slight intended on any responders anywhere just stating the fact). Look at the things you have know way of predicting, run and run run into drug buddies you did not know were there. Imagine your wife and kids entertaining meth addicts for a night, feel bad later if it makes you feel better. Upfront you don't want give a misguided prosecutor any leverage, first person you talk to post event is a lawyer. Home Invasion is on the rise, how much no one can say as it's not recorded as such.

You'll see that I have a few related thoughts below but it may not quite be written very well, so for what it is worth... As a former concealed carry instructor...

Please be careful in your postings in case you are the one that NEEDS to use deadly force to protect yourself or others.

My hunch is that the majority on this site are of the 'I-don't-want-to-shoot, but-I'm-willing, and-have-the-mindset, where-I'll-shoot-you-before-I'll-let-you-harm-me-or-others' flavor, but so that you don't regret your statements, I guess it is "word to the wise" because you know how some liberal, bleeding-heart lawyer could turn your statements against you. Yes, you are not the one stepping into someone else's home to rob or rape, but the you know how the right lawyer in front of the right jury at the right time could use your postings to paint a picture to the jury how you are a person that was trigger-happy or was just looking for the opportunity to 'legally' kill someone.

Regarding the topic of what to use: If given the choice of what to use to defend myself in my home, I'd choose a shorter-barreled shotgun with birdshot. A load of 5's or 6's within the distance of my home is going to hit an assailant nearly the same as buckshot but if I miss or have stray pellets they will be more quickly absorbed by drywall, doors, or studs and far less likely to kill the neighbor than if a rifle/pistol round goes thru a wall/window. But when the chips are down, I'd even use a .22 pistol before I'll try to"yell a person to death" that is going for my wife or child.

Most importantly, do whatever it takes to stop the threat, but no more. If two rounds to the chest doesn't slow him down, then one to the bridge of the nose should. If you go straight for headshots, then you may score higher in Call-of-Duty games, but you also may be on trial for murder because you didn't give the poor child-beating, woman-raping, meth user the "opportunity" to change his mind.

They way I heard it put best was when I took two of my sons to a two-day defensive handgun class at Front Sight in Nevada (which I HIGHLY recommend), one instructor said something to the effect, "Make up your mind well ahead of time of where your threshold is, and be willing to follow thru on that decision, but be aware that, at best you have EVERYTHING to lose once you start shooting and NOTHING to gain. All you can do is hope that you get to keep everything you have."

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.