New Muzzle brake

Clubhunter

I finally got to take out my new Sendero to the range today to begin the barrel break in. It's a 300 RUM. Been a while since I shot a magnum but since I am a big guy I thought it would be like riding a bicycle again.
To say that thing kicks like a frigging mule would be an understatement. I got 15 rounds thru it today and will complete the break in process after I get a muzzle break put on that bad boy.
I am looking for some suggestions on some breaks that work well in hunting situations where I would be shooting in a prone position. I think I read somewhere that you don't want ports on the bottom because of the blowback of dust.
I live in the Houston area and went over to MG Arms. They do a lot of custom stuff and they showed me one of their brakes which had small holes the circumference of the brake. Where it screws to the barrel was so good I could not even see the line where it came together. Easiest would be to have them do the brake but not port on the bottom. Question is that true on there blow back of dust on the bottom? And what has worked for y'all with your guns.

Pain killer from APS is what you want. They have more surface area for the gas to push against.

There are plenty of good muzzle brakes out there in the market (Rifle Suppressor & Muzzle Brake - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com). Muzzle brakes not only reduces felt recoil but also reduces muzzle rise/fall. The muzzle brake design that addresses both to achieve the best compromise (as well as concussion) effectively is what you want. Most popular MB does not necessarily mean most effective ... just saying.

With all due respect to all the muzzle brake makers/designers, Jerry of JEC Customs is the only one that "I" have seen addressed it in one of his video tests during his Assassin test, hopefully he'll chime in.

[ame]https://youtu.be/OpCgRQRWJYc?t=6[/ame]

I have no hands on experience or have any business ties with Jerry other than a respectful admiration what he has accomplished with his MB design but #4 would be my choice ... but that's just me.

My hands on experience with muzzle brakes are with Holland's QD, a custom similar to Holland's but with larger ports, and another custom also similar to Holland's except with 4 ports. My most recent one is a Benchmark Tactical mini (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) ... a mini version on the one in the video below ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA?t=1[/ame]

Good luck on your quest for the best MB for your intended use. Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

My hands on experience with muzzle brakes are with Holland's QD, a custom similar to Holland's but with larger ports, and another custom also similar to Holland's except with 4 ports. My most recent one is a Benchmark Tactical mini (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes)

I also have very good result with JP Enterprise Bernie Cooley muzzle brake.

Right now I am leaning more for the JEC brake. After reviewing the write up and review of the multiple brakes by PRS it seems that might be a better fit for my application. Things that are important to me are the reduction in recoil and staying in target for a follow up shot.
Thanks again for all of your input.

Right now I am leaning more for the JEC brake. After reviewing the write up and review of the multiple brakes by PRS it seems that might be a better fit for my application. Things that are important to me are the reduction in recoil and staying in target for a follow up shot.
Thanks again for all of your input.

Jerry is one of the good guys here not to mention he's your fellow Texan.:D

I ordered three JE Custom brakes and each muzzle brake is designed for the specific rifle with the data load, rifle weight, and caliber.

Attachments

• hbrake2_blast angle.jpg
    hbrake2_blast angle.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 149
I put the APS Painkiller on my Sendero 300 win mag. I can routinely spot my hits and misses. I have never noticed any blowback whatsoever.
Plus, it looks cool. So I got that goin for me, which is nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.