New Mexico recommends NO use of scopes on muzzleloaders

Recently heard where New Mexico proposes a change to the muzzleloader requirements beginning in 2023. The proposed change would be to eliminate the use of scopes.

My question for those folks who hunt in states with this rule already established is will that increase the number of wounded animals? I know with my aging eyes I have a difficult time seeing clearly the rear sights on any firearm.

Please provide your opinions and experience.
Some bureaucrats sitting around with nothing else to do except dream up stuff

With the advancements of today's ML's I feared this was going to happen. I've been wanting a cva / bergara combo for a while but put it off waiting on this ruling.

I too suffer for old eyes wearing readers which actually started at 45. I still want to get into the ML game but no longer need a long range boomer. I'm going to play around with a buddies 30-30 which has a rear ghost ring and hooded front dot, very similar to a modern bow set up. The main difference is in archery the rear peep is much closer to your eye.

I think something like this may be a great option. This is a cheap Amazon model but a better brand could even be adjustable for elevation.

We may need to take a que from the long range lever action world.

Screenshot_20221016_115217_Amazon Shopping.jpg

After visiting with several guides in New Mexico who I've hunted with in the past, it seems to me it's money driven. The state wants to increase the number of tags, but reduce the number of animals taken. If they were strictly worried about controlling antlered elk numbers they would simply adjust numbers of tags. But that would too hard on their budget. They simply want to sell more tags without lowering elk taken. They could do the same thing by eliminating compound bows in archery season. Or removing scopes from rifles. It's about the Benjamin.

Good morning Richard,

My issue is one of hunter safety and ensuring you know what is behind your target. Most hunters of my age are a bit eye sight impaired. The use of good optics ensure that I can adequately survey the surrounding and ensure there are no other object that are approaching my targeted animal, ie other hunters, hikers, mountain bikers, or anyone else who may be in the area.
Thanks James

That's what binoculars are for, not a rifle scope.

If muzzleloaders get a special season, they should have greater restrictions on the equipment. A scoped, smokeless muzzleloader is nothing more than a 458 Win Mag, and sometimes closer to a 458 Lott, without a brass case.

Recently heard where New Mexico proposes a change to the muzzleloader requirements beginning in 2023. The proposed change would be to eliminate the use of scopes.

My question for those folks who hunt in states with this rule already established is will that increase the number of wounded animals? I know with my aging eyes I have a difficult time seeing clearly the rear sights on any firearm.

Please provide your opinions and experience.
I live in MN where scopes were illegal on muzzleloaders until around 5 years ago. For people with vision problems, meaning you had to have bifocals pretty much, you could apply for a disability exemption and use a zero magnification scope.

This has been a hot topic on several hunting forums since the April proposal. I believe it was approved by the New Mexico game commission on Friday by a vote of 4-1 and will go into effect in 2023. Utah was/is looking at scopes on muzzleloaders also. They have a technology committee that is looking at archery, muzzleloaders, and rifles if I understand it right.

I suspect there were be an increase of animals more mortally wounded and not recovered now. At least that could allow RMR type devices so my eyes could see better.

I'm not a fan of the new ruling but it will put everyone on or very close to the same performance level.

I don't agree with the increase in wounded animals. It may or may not increase. I see it as no different the modern archery. Most anyone can quickly learn to shoot a bow and with slightly above average skill and practice can be hitting a target at 100 yards. That by no means makes them competent to shoot an animal at 100 yards. We all have to know our limitations.

I live in N.M and have taken quite a few elk with ML. I also build and sell modern ML that are used on a regular basis to take elk at ranges exceeding 400 yards. I am old with failing eyesight so I should be first to oppose the new regulations. I feel the real problem in NM is the land owner permit system that allows land owners to sell unit wide permits most of which are used on public land . They are supposed to open their land to public access but just try to figure out where or how to get this access. The Game department makes a big deal out of the percentage of permits going to residents; but most of those permits are cow only.Private land permits should be for ranch use only . One of my favorite areas is heavily hunted each year and is overrun by hunters using private land permits . I have an elk permit in November and I will be using a ML probably for the last time. I would really prefer to see them cut the number of permits and get back to a quality hunt.

I live in N.M and have taken quite a few elk with ML. I also build and sell modern ML that are used on a regular basis to take elk at ranges exceeding 400 yards. I am old with failing eyesight so I should be first to oppose the new regulations. I feel the real problem in NM is the land owner permit system that allows land owners to sell unit wide permits most of which are used on public land . They are supposed to open their land to public access but just try to figure out where or how to get this access. The Game department makes a big deal out of the percentage of permits going to residents; but most of those permits are cow only.Private land permits should be for ranch use only . One of my favorite areas is heavily hunted each year and is overrun by hunters using private land permits . I have an elk permit in November and I will be using a ML probably for the last time. I would really prefer to see them cut the number of permits and get back to a quality hunt.
I just returned from a NM elk hunt where I had a unit wide land owner tag that allowed me to hunt private and state land as you mentioned. From a NR perspective, this option is very expensive, but does afford us a better chance of harvesting an animal. Sort of like "we will give you a bit more for that extra expenditure." So, I am a proponent of that rule. However, if I was a RESIDENT I would feel exactly like you do.

In GA for many years, we had a "No Optics" on M/L during Primitive Weapons Season so I put a QD mount on our TC M/L to use in both seasons. I think that you can use scopes now. Can't understand how it is Primitive Weapons when new M/L are just like a rifle with bolt actions, primers smokeless powder charges, Sabot bullets, and scopes. Some of these M/Ls are more accurate and deadlier than most cartridge rifles.
Then Crossbows or Airbows, but that's a different Post.
I have nothing against using modern M/L for hunting, but if you have a "PRIMITIVE WEAPON" Season should not it be with Primitive Weapons?